Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan light kit question

Are the light kits brand or model specific? The ones I saw in the
store didn't appear to be usable with my existing ceiling fan. All I
want to do is change the light fixture part of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are the light kits brand or model specific? The ones I saw in the
store didn't appear to be usable with my existing ceiling fan. All I
want to do is change the light fixture part of it.

It certainly makes sense that they'd be brand & model specific. However,
within certain brands, you may find light kits usable with more than one
model.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Some are, some are not. If your particular light kit is attached via an 1/8"
threaded nipple, it's a universal light kit, and can be replaced with almost
any of that type. Usually the less expensive fans have universal type light
kits

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are the light kits brand or model specific? The ones I saw in the
store didn't appear to be usable with my existing ceiling fan. All I
want to do is change the light fixture part of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some are, some are not. If your particular light kit is attached via an 1/8"
threaded nipple, it's a universal light kit, and can be replaced with almost
any of that type. Usually the less expensive fans have universal type light
kits

It looks like there a threaded nipple, then there is the piece
containing the motor switch(s) for direction and speed, then the
lighting fixture mounted on the bottom of that piece. It almost looks
like I can use a standard one but cut the top off and drill three holes
in it for the screws though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You might want to post a picture. Typically the "box" with the motor
reversing switch and pull chain control,for the fan, has a bottom cover,
which screws to the box, It would have a 1/8" threaded tap in it for a light
kit, which would simply screw onto the nipple

wrote in message
ups.com...
Some are, some are not. If your particular light kit is attached via an
1/8"
threaded nipple, it's a universal light kit, and can be replaced with
almost
any of that type. Usually the less expensive fans have universal type
light
kits

It looks like there a threaded nipple, then there is the piece
containing the motor switch(s) for direction and speed, then the
lighting fixture mounted on the bottom of that piece. It almost looks
like I can use a standard one but cut the top off and drill three holes
in it for the screws though.

Ceiling Fan Light Kit Install Sue Home Repair 6 December 30th 06 06:52 AM
Wiring a ceiling fan with light [email protected] Home Ownership 6 June 15th 06 07:55 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Fan Switch Replacement, what is a "Light Kit"? blakesq Home Repair 4 January 2nd 05 05:04 PM
3 Speed Fan Switch Replacement--what is the light kit? blakesq Home Repair 0 January 2nd 05 04:02 PM