Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Wiring a ceiling fan with light

Hi,

I've visited most of the ceiling fan questions and I cannot fix my
problem.

Here's what i am dealing with. I am trying to install a ceiling fan
with a light. My box has 3 wires(ground excluded). Black, red and
white. Now here is the confusing part. I have two switches. One
controls a ceiling light in a closet and the other one controls the box
where the ceiling fan is going to be installed.

I want to be able to swith the fan and it's light on with only one
switch. I want the other switch to turn on the light in the closet,
like it does now. I've tried almost everthing and I cannot seem to get
this to work. BTW, the fan does have a Blue wire for the light if you
were wondering.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

In article om,
wrote:

Here's what i am dealing with. I am trying to install a ceiling fan
with a light. My box has 3 wires(ground excluded). Black, red and
white. Now here is the confusing part. I have two switches. One
controls a ceiling light in a closet and the other one controls the box
where the ceiling fan is going to be installed.

I want to be able to swith the fan and it's light on with only one
switch. I want the other switch to turn on the light in the closet,
like it does now. I've tried almost everthing and I cannot seem to get
this to work. BTW, the fan does have a Blue wire for the light if you
were wondering.

You are making this too hard.

First, forget about the closet. The closet has a switch, a
wire, a fixture, and a light. It works, so don't mess with
it. Put it out of your mind.

Next, the former light where you are putting the fan has a
switch and a wire. That wire has a white, black, and bare
wire.

The fan has 3 wires. Likely a white, a black, and something
of color (red or blue). If you tie the white on the wire to
the white on the fan, then the black on the wire to both the
blue and black on the fan, you should be set. Double check
this wiring with what is in your fan wiring instructions since
these things always vary a little. BTW, connect the bare
ground wire as the instructions indicate.

When you tie the two wires on the fan together, what happens
is that when you flip the single switch on, both the light and
fan will turn on. Note that if you have pull chains on the
fan, you will have to pull then a few times to get them turned
on, and get the fan set for the speed you want. Then never
mess with the pull chains again--use the wall switch.

If you want to operate the fan and light independently, you
cannot do that with only one switch (not unless you leave the
one switch on all the time, and use the pull chains to turn
things on and off). Controlling each independently means two
switches, and running a new wire up to the fan that has 3 wires
plus a ground.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
no_mo'_spam

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:24:01 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

In article om,
wrote:

[...]

It's been awhile since I've purchased a ceiling fan, but don't they
now sell electronic models that allow for independent control of the
fan and light over one set of wires?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thank-you for your advice. I follow what you are saying but I may have
not made myself clear. There is also a red wire coming out of the box.
I have a black, white and red wire, as well as the bare wire, in the
ceiling box.

I've tried many combinations, but I am finding that the switch to the
light in the closet is always turning the fan and it's respective light
on. This is not the switch that I want controlling the fan. I cannot
seem to find the correct wiring combination where one switch operates
the closet light and one switch operates the fan and it's respective
light. I'm constantly finding that the switch to the closet light is
operating both the light in the closet as well as the fan and it's
light. Am I missing something here? One more thing, the fan has no pull
chains, it has a remote receiver which is to be installed in the
ceiling fan canopy.

John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article om,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house
GWB

On 15 Jun 2006 15:31:57 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

We have two Casablanca fans with "IntelliTouch" wall controls which
send signals over the single power line to control fan speed and
direction and light on/off and intensity.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

I had four of those expensive pieces of ****.
Not a one of em worked for long.

They had a mind of their own during electrical storms.