Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Framing around ductwork: pics

I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 11:24*am, Mikepier wrote:
I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and *the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

Should you bother "what"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

Unless you are getting the room ready for meeting with the Queen or a visit
from the President, I'd probably spray paint it white to match the ceiling
and leave it at that. Boxing it to follow the contours is not going to be
easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:26*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 20, 11:24*am, Mikepier wrote:

I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and *the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

Should you bother "what"

Should I bother to box in the ductwork?
I like to add I went to my neighbors house since all the houses on my
block are the same. What he did was put in a drop ceiling below the
duct on the left in picture 1, then box in the rest of the ductwork.
Looks nice, but obviously a lot of headroom is lost doing that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike rock" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 12:26 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 20, 11:24 am, Mikepier wrote:

I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

Should you bother "what"

Should I bother to box in the ductwork? snip

I don't think anyone can definitively answer that question for you but it
sounds like you may have already answered it for yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't want to close off access to my duct work. You're
lucky to have such easy access. I'd decorate in away that leaves the duct
work exposed or go with the drop ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 11:58*am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"Mike rock" wrote in message

On Sep 20, 12:26 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

work exposed or go with the drop ceiling.- Hide quoted text -

An alternative I have seen is to paint everything on the ceiling
black, That makes the ductwork somewhat disappear. I am fairly tall
and the lack of headroom when ducts are boxed in is annoying. I keep
ducking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:24�pm, Mikepier wrote:
I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or not
I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right to the
ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and �the duct
since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I can paint the
return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are wrapped in
insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be in
everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

If you want to do it right, box them in. Or, don't do anything to the
ceiling and leave it as it is. Anything else, you're wasting time and
money because it will look like some half-assed job.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 12:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

I know I can paint the return duct because its bare metal, but the
supply duct is wrapped in foil faced insulation. Can that be painted
over?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Sure. The "foil" is metal, right?

I'd guess that latex would be more forgiving in that it'll flex (like a
sheet of rubber). Latex paint from a cant would be, however, pretty
difficult to apply.

If you use spray paint, be sure to squirrel away a few extra cans for
touch-up in the coming years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

You can replace the insulation with something that can be painted, like
foil-face board. Personally, I'd just leave it all be. It'll always look
like a basement- no point in putting lipstick on a pig.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'd just leave it the way it is as well....It's just a basement....

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course. I dearly wish
this place had an unfinished basement, rather than the rotting striped
indoor-outdoor carpeting, badly-done drop ceiling, and 1970s-style faux
plaster and cedar beam finish on the walls and doors. I may be weird,
but I like plain concrete and exposed joists. At the most, clear expoxy
on the floors and a coat of white dry-lock on the walls to keep the dust
down and brighten things up.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
benick wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

Then I must be weird too...I like a basement to look like a basement and my
garage to look like a garage...LOL....."Finishing" either one , but
especially the basement , seem to cause more problems then they're
worth...IMHO....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 12:27*am, "benick" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

benick wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
om...
"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

worth...IMHO....- Hide quoted text -

Actually, funny you mention that, because after I gutted out my room
with old 70's wall paneling, bad 1X1 ceiling tile job, and lousy
lighting, it actually looks great now with foundation walls I just
Thorosealed and temp lighting I put in. I wish I could leave it ,
unfortunately it does get cold in that room, and I need to insulate.
There was practically no insulation in that room before I gutted it. I
started framing the walls with 2X4's to get R-13 insulation in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Master Betty" wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't want to close off access to my duct work. You're
lucky to have such easy access. I'd decorate in away that leaves the duct
work exposed or go with the drop ceiling.

Yep. The industrial look is in right now. People are painting duct work
in bright, bold colors so that it really pops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike rock" wrote in message
On Sep 22, 12:27 am, "benick" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

benick wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
om...
"Mikepier" wrote in message

[...]

++++

I got to thinking about your problem with painting it and I thought you
should consider "snow roof" or a similar product. It might help with the
chipping. It's expensive but it pours out like bright white tar. One coat
would do it. It would help with sealing it too. I used to have ducts on the
outside of my house on a flattop roof. (It was a dumbass system.) It was
insulated with spray-on foam and I had to paint it often with snow roof.
Yours would obviously not need recoating as often.

You can actually see the system if you map Google "2323 Cardenas ne
Albuquerque nm" and zoom in on the house. Very unusual.

House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking Plans and Photos 29 September 14th 07 02:14 PM
House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 4 September 10th 07 02:50 PM
metal ductwork vs fiberglass ductwork Zack Home Repair 5 February 6th 07 01:33 AM
DC Ductwork Jimmy Woodworking 2 May 21st 06 10:43 PM
Ductwork Aaron Affleck Home Ownership 2 July 25th 05 11:46 PM