Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Framing around ductwork: pics

Mike rock wrote:
On Sep 20, 12:43 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I recently gutted out a room in my basement and I am finishing off
with sheetrock walls. I have ductwork running in the room.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

As you can see, the ductwork is not just a simple box, but there are
several turns and angles involved. I was debating as to whether or
not I should box it in. I was planning on putting sheetrock right
to the ceiling, and in fact the sheetrock can actually go above and
the duct since the duct is about an 1" or so below the joists. I
can paint the return duct white to match, but the supply ducts are
wrapped in insulation so that would have to stay.
Even though this room will be finished, it's not a room we will be
in everyday. Any inputs? Should I bother?

Unless you are getting the room ready for meeting with the Queen or
a visit from the President, I'd probably spray paint it white to
match the ceiling and leave it at that. Boxing it to follow the
contours is not going to be easy.

I know I can paint the return duct because its bare metal, but the
supply duct is wrapped in foil faced insulation. Can that be painted
over?

Sure. The "foil" is metal, right?

I'd guess that latex would be more forgiving in that it'll flex (like a
sheet of rubber). Latex paint from a cant would be, however, pretty
difficult to apply.

If you use spray paint, be sure to squirrel away a few extra cans for
touch-up in the coming years.