Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well pump pressure tank...

Tony wrote:
My bladder type water tank is rated 20 gallons.

With no water I have 26.5 lbs of air pressure in tank.

The pump cuts in at about 28lbs. and out at about 51lbs.

With the tank full I only get 6.75 gallons of water before the pump runs
again. Is this right? If not, what's wrong?

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'll check into some larger tanks. Large is no
problem, I've pumped an estimated 5000 gallons out of it in about 6
hours. Note: I extended the 1" main to a 1" frost proof spigot so
running the hose full blast keeps the pump running full time instead of
turning on and off. Only problem with that was getting brown water with
small gravel until it sits for some time. The one time the gravel was
enough to block the spigot decreasing the flow, and also making it
impossible to turn off! (lucky I put it's own cutoff valve inside)

And as far as pumping so much water and how it will effect my well. My
ex FIL worked for a municipal water company for 30 years and now and
then they would basically try to run a well dry. The reasoning is
because in all the tiny little cracks and crevices in the sides of the
well is sediment, and running the well so low helps wash out the
sediment and actually improves the wells capacity after some time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 18, 9:21*pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Ah and t'were possible. My well is 26gpm flow, can't be pumped dry
and is still pumping fine sediment after near 20 years.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

I'm going on what the water company does, I don't know if it is common.
I got tired of the sediment in mine and finally installed a filter. I
forget how many micron but I'm using the filter that is basically a big
spool of string. It's working quite *well*. In a drought my output
goes from 20gpm down to as low as 10gpm.

By the way, the water company pumps are 5 or more horsepower, one of
them just may be able to run one of our wells dry?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 9:11*pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

them just may be able to run one of our wells dry?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I realized that after posting that there are a lot of pumps out
there that will exceed my piddling 1/2 hp . I also need to be down
in the basement flushing out my pressure tank and water heater, both
must have a bunch in them.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry k wrote:
On Sep 19, 9:11 pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Half a horse and 26 gpm, must have a good well that isn't very deep, or
the water table is high, or both. I get 20 gpm tops with a 1 horse
pump. It's down about 700 - 800 foot but the real difference is when
the the water table goes down and output goes as low as 10gpm (that I
have witnessed). Either way it seems my pumping out thousands of
gallons of water has very little effect on the water table and/or water
output. I suppose I have a lot of reserve in the rock even when the
level is low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 9:01*am, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 19, 9:11 pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

level is low.- Hide quoted text -

The 26 gpm was teh 'pump down' test after the well was drilled. My
1/2 horse pump doesnt' even come close to that. Well is on a
fantatstic aquifer and only 65 ft deep with static level of 10 ft.
Neighbor 1/2 mile up the draw from me drilled new well and his came in
with static 6" above the well casing. He said he had to let it run
open for a week before he could cap it. I don't know wht that did to
my well - for sure I have never lacked for water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry k wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:01 am, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 19, 9:11 pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

You wouldn't believe what I did that night........

I was running the hose and at one point was waiting for a 55 gallon drum
to fill. I got a phone call and forgot about the running water. The
pump ran for at least 10 hours straight, I'm being conservative. Over
6000 gallons pumped overnight. I don't know what it started at, but
after running all that time it was still putting out 10 GPM out of my
hose. My electric meter had just been read and a new reading figured my
little mistake will cause a jump of about $88 on the next bill. The
water got a bit dirty but luckily I recently installed a sediment
filter, excluding the outside spigots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:42*am, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:01 am, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 19, 9:11 pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

Say what? 6000 gallons pumped = $88 electric bill? That doesn't
sound right. What are your electric rates? Here in NJ we have some
of the highest in the country, 18c/kwh and lots of people have
irrigation wells installed to avoid paying for municipal water for
their sprinker systems. Our water isn't cheap either, $7 per 1000
gallons is the highest rate. Even at that rate, I could buy the 6000
gallons of water for $42.

I'd expect the electric bill for 6000 gallons of water pumping to be
more in the $5 range or so for a typical well system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 6:36*am, wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:42*am, Tony wrote:

harry k wrote:
On Sep 20, 9:01 am, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 19, 9:11 pm, Tony wrote:
harry k wrote:
On Sep 18, 9:21 pm, Tony wrote:
Tony wrote:
[...]

more in the $5 range or so for a typical well system.- Hide quoted text -

Same here.

Harry K