Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default I need a pump and pressure tank. Looking for online supplier.

I need to take water from a community water supply that is about 100
psi at the bottom of a hill and pump it about 700ft up a hill with
vertical rise of 160ft. All the suppliers of this type thing in my area
are so busy this time of year that I can't even get a call back. This
being the situation I have decided to do it myself. Can anyone suggest
an online supplier that could intelligently guide me through the
purchase of a pressure tank, pump, filter, etc. The water is for a 3bdr
2bath home with very little irrigation required. Appreciate any help.
Odie

Posted to misc.consumers.house

odie wrote:
I need to take water from a community water supply that is about 100
psi at the bottom of a hill and pump it about 700ft up a hill with
vertical rise of 160ft. All the suppliers of this type thing in my area
are so busy this time of year that I can't even get a call back. This
being the situation I have decided to do it myself. Can anyone suggest
an online supplier that could intelligently guide me through the
purchase of a pressure tank, pump, filter, etc. The water is for a 3bdr
2bath home with very little irrigation required. Appreciate any help.
Odie

You might also post to: alt.home.repair

There doesn't seem to be enough incentive for an on-line
supplier to design/spec this system when he's only going
to sell a smallish pump and pressure tank. (My opinion)

Ideas off the top of my head.
If the water supply has 100psi, that will be enough to get
up the 160ft rise. The 700ft run has to be big enough diam
to keep friction losses low.

Would you consider a large holding tank at the top of hill?
From there a 1/2HP centrif pump can pressurize a small tank
for domestic use.

Or put a pump half way down the hill. I don't think there
is anything to be gained by putting pump at bottom
of hill since the supply pressure is getting close to what
the piping up the hill can withstand.

My $.02

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house

odie wrote:
I need to take water from a community water supply that is about 100
psi at the bottom of a hill and pump it about 700ft up a hill with
vertical rise of 160ft. All the suppliers of this type thing in my area
are so busy this time of year that I can't even get a call back. This
being the situation I have decided to do it myself. Can anyone suggest
an online supplier that could intelligently guide me through the
purchase of a pressure tank, pump, filter, etc. The water is for a 3bdr
2bath home with very little irrigation required. Appreciate any help.
Odie

Speedy has it right. Put the pump at the top.

To run a few rough figures. 160ft rise takes about 80 psi to push
water up it. (.46 psi per foot plus pipe friction). If you have 100
psi at the bottom then you have about 20psi still available at the
house site (again pipe friction will reduce it somewhat). All you need
is a small pump but I would not go that route. I would put in enough
pump to supply irrigation. You may not plan on using it now but future
wants are hard to predict. The coast of running a minimal pump vs one
big enough for irrigation is a vere small difference.

You should shoot for a system with cutin/out settings of 30/50 (okay
for no irrigation) or 40/60 - best if you are going to irrigate. Some
sprinklers don't run well down near 30 psi IME.

Also go for a decent sized tank 30 gal bladder at least. I don't know
if they even build non-bladder tanks anymore, good riddance I say.

Unless you have some special problam, put the pump and tank in the
house, not in a well house. Pulling maintenance on a pump system in a
cramped well house is a major PIA.

Harry K