Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New installation trouble

I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mc" wrote in message
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Disconnect the fixtures and see if it still cycles. You may have a bad
transformer

Posted to alt.home.repair

mc wrote:
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

I don't know anything about transformers cycling on/off, but I did help
a friend (as ignorant of electricity as I am) shop for parts for her
Malibu lights. Seems like 50' was longest run that would work - can the
length of cable be the issue?
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"mc" wrote in message
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Disconnect the fixtures and see if it still cycles. You may have a bad
transformer

Hi,
And logic tells me start hooking up close one first and keep adding
fixtures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have run Malibu lights as far as 200'. Used 12 gauge copper wire.

The transformer should not be acting up because of a long wire run. This
would merely reduce the voltage at the end and dim the lights.

Sounds like a short in your wiring. The transformer shuts itself off when it
sees a short and then tries again after a few minutes.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"RBM" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Disconnect the fixtures and see if it still cycles. You may have a bad
transformer

Posted to alt.home.repair

-"RBM" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
I am installing a new low voltage outdoor lighting system. There are 5
x 20w spot fixtures and one Malibu Lighting 200W transformer.

After installing the 5 lights, I laid out the 12-2 supply. The
furthest lights (2 on one post = 40w) are about 70' from the
transformer, and I hooked them up first.

With only those 2 lights attached, the transformer is cycling on/off
every 20-30 seconds.

The transformer, fixtures, lamps, cable, and connections are all new.
I took pains with the connections.

What am I missing? Please help.

Disconnect the fixtures and see if it still cycles. You may have a bad
transformer

Thanks Walter.
I used brand new cable, 12-2 to the bollard, 16-2 to the light
fixture . I used brand new wire connectors, and was painstakingly
careful.
I have concluded the transformer, Intermatic Malibu 200w, is
defective. It continued to cycle (on for 1 sec, off for 20 sec) even
after I had disconnected all the load.
After 2 defective transformers Intermatic, I'd be a fool to try a
third one.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a better product? Who makes the
best transformers?