Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 9, 8:54*pm, working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Check for compatibility of the epoxy with the treated wood. The
concrete is no problem, epoxies are used in concrete work everywhere.
Bond a couple of scrap pieces of wood together in a manner that will
let you whack it with a sledge or otherwise stress the joint. If all
or most of the failure is in the wood, you're good to go.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be better to support he wood with a Simpson anchor that
will always allow the wood to dry out. If water can get to the
wood where it sits on the concrete/epoxy it will have trouble
eventually, even if it is pressure treated.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"working_stiff" wrote in message
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated
beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 -
1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam
is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and
merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about
squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Use a couple of wedges.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Use a couple of wedges.

Or a little thinset?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"working_stiff" wrote in message
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

I think rather than the epoxy, I would use a jack to flex the beam slightly,
and then stuff in a 3/16 to1/4 inch thick chunk of plastic. The plastic
will allow the beam to slide a bit and should prevent any squeaks.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone, for responding with your ideas.

I'm going with the plastic shims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

"working_stiff" wrote in message
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

I think rather than the epoxy, I would use a jack to flex the beam slightly,
and then stuff in a 3/16 to1/4 inch thick chunk of plastic. The plastic
will allow the beam to slide a bit and should prevent any squeaks.

That's what EZ-Shims are for. (Plastic shims)

bond ceramic to concrete ?? itsdoingfunnythings UK diy 4 May 29th 08 12:16 AM
Cracks in a pier and beam house - retexture or drywall ? Alex Home Repair 2 April 18th 07 03:28 AM
Floor Tiling in a pier and beam house crabshell Home Repair 1 March 30th 07 03:36 AM
pier and beam repair kirk Home Repair 4 June 25th 06 07:44 PM
Pier and Beam, piers only 18"? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 18th 06 04:38 AM