DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/286716-using-epoxy-bond-beam-concrete-pier.html)

working_stiff September 10th 09 02:54 AM

Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Joe September 10th 09 03:30 AM

On Sep 9, 8:54*pm, working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Check for compatibility of the epoxy with the treated wood. The
concrete is no problem, epoxies are used in concrete work everywhere.
Bond a couple of scrap pieces of wood together in a manner that will
let you whack it with a sledge or otherwise stress the joint. If all
or most of the failure is in the wood, you're good to go.

Joe

DanG September 10th 09 04:28 AM

Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

It would be better to support he wood with a Simpson anchor that
will always allow the wood to dry out. If water can get to the
wood where it sits on the concrete/epoxy it will have trouble
eventually, even if it is pressure treated.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

dadiOH[_3_] September 10th 09 12:43 PM

working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Use a couple of wedges.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Bob F September 10th 09 03:18 PM

dadiOH wrote:
working_stiff wrote:
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

Use a couple of wedges.

Or a little thinset?

Roger Shoaf September 10th 09 07:27 PM

Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

"working_stiff" wrote in message
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

I think rather than the epoxy, I would use a jack to flex the beam slightly,
and then stuff in a 3/16 to1/4 inch thick chunk of plastic. The plastic
will allow the beam to slide a bit and should prevent any squeaks.

--
Roger Shoaf

working_stiff September 11th 09 12:44 AM

Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

Thanks everyone, for responding with your ideas.

I'm going with the plastic shims.

Smitty Two September 11th 09 07:18 PM

Using epoxy to bond beam to concrete pier

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

"working_stiff" wrote in message
Anyone heard of using epoxy cement to bond a pressure treated beam to
a concrete pier? I'm considering using epoxy to fill a 1/16 - 1/8 gap
between a 4x6 pt beam and a intermediate concrete pier. The beam is
connected on each end using conventional beam hangers, and merely
rests upon the pier midway.

The beam is part of a deck frame and I'm concerned about squeaking. I
think epoxy will prevent beam flexing.

Thanks!

I think rather than the epoxy, I would use a jack to flex the beam slightly,
and then stuff in a 3/16 to1/4 inch thick chunk of plastic. The plastic
will allow the beam to slide a bit and should prevent any squeaks.

That's what EZ-Shims are for. (Plastic shims)