Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracks in a pier and beam house - retexture or drywall ?

Hi,

We're moving into a house which was built in 1959, and most of the
rooms have small cracks in the wall plaster above the door jams and in
a few places on the ceiling. Over the years it looks like the cracks
have been poorly patched and painted over, so the walls in some areas
look rather bad.

Is it possible to retexture the walls in hopes of making the walls
appear uniform? Another option I've read is putting a layer of
drywall over the plaster, but with wood molding on the doorways and
entryways between rooms (like kitchen and living room), I'm not sure
how this will look or work. I'd like to keep the original wood
molding because it's still in very good shape.

Just curious. Thanks --

Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 3:23 pm, Alex wrote:
Hi,

We're moving into a house which was built in 1959, and most of the
rooms have small cracks in the wall plaster above the door jams and in
a few places on the ceiling. Over the years it looks like the cracks
have been poorly patched and painted over, so the walls in some areas
look rather bad.

Is it possible to retexture the walls in hopes of making the walls
appear uniform? Another option I've read is putting a layer of
drywall over the plaster, but with wood molding on the doorways and
entryways between rooms (like kitchen and living room), I'm not sure
how this will look or work. I'd like to keep the original wood
molding because it's still in very good shape.

Just curious. Thanks --

Alex

Just put in a proper patch. Use a scraper or old screwdriver and
widen the crack making it into a nice V shape. It may seems wrong to
scratch out so much material but it is necessary for the patch to
adhere that new material be exposed. You may have to temporarily
remove moulding if the crack goes underneath. Then use real plaster
to make the patch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We're moving into a house which was built in 1959, and most of the
rooms have small cracks in the wall plaster above the door jams and in
a few places on the ceiling. Over the years it looks like the cracks
have been poorly patched and painted over, so the walls in some areas
look rather bad.

One thing I would consider is cause. It is possible that the floor is
sagging below the area where the cracks are above the door jams. If you go
under the house you may be able to jack up the floor joist back to level and
place additional support under the week places.

Now patch the cracks and they should not reappear.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Floor Tiling in a pier and beam house crabshell Home Repair 1 March 30th 07 03:36 AM
cracking tiles and cracks in drywall cox Home Repair 13 March 3rd 07 09:07 PM
pier and beam repair kirk Home Repair 4 June 25th 06 07:44 PM
Pier and Beam, piers only 18"? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 18th 06 04:38 AM
drywall cracks in corners xyz Home Repair 6 April 7th 04 08:30 AM