Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

Default cracking tiles and cracks in drywall

Folks,

I have been losing sleep and my head over cracks in drywall and a
dozen tile cracks. I live in North Dallas and have experienced this
over some period of time. All of the drywall cracks are about 1/8" or
less. There are some cracks at the corners of the windows that have
stayed the same for about 15-16 months now. There is one crack that
runs horizontally in the ceiling of the houses which is about 6 feet
in length. This crack is about 1/8" at the start and then decreases.
I have not noticed any problems closing any windows or doors (atleast
not so far, knock on wood!!) All of the tile cracks are about 1/16" or
less. Some are hairline that can be barely seen. Others are about
1/16" inch. I have walked around the house and seen some minor cracks
in bricks in 1 or 2 places. I do not see any cracks in the
foundation. Ours is a slab on foundation (without any basement). Ours
is a 2 story house. I have seen some hairline cracks in the garage
concrete floor. I will be calling an engineer for an evaluation, but
before that wanted to get an understanding about what this all means.
What do the cracks in tiles mean, what do the cracks in the drywall
mean? Some of the windows have vertical cracks at the place where
caulking and drywall meet. Not all windows have this pattern, like
for example the windows closest to the corners seem to have the
problem but the interior ones seem not to much of cracking. I have
seen some caulking cracks. The tile cracks all are in the center of
the house and seem to run 1-2 tile at some spots. Please help with
your opinions. Meanwhile, this house is 7 years old and still under
warranty with regard to foundation and structural elements like
framing etc. Thanks for your help.

stony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 5:52 pm, cox wrote:
[...]

Since you will have an expert to give you your answers you do not need
us. It sounds like your house is settling which is common enough but
not in such a new house. Ideally it should not happen so you may have
a claim against the builder. That can be difficult to pursue. If a
bit of repair and paint is all that is required then that might be
easier than pursuing the builder.

Be sure to check your plumbing and make sure there are not any
unoticed leaks in the walls or slab. My sister had some plumbing in
the wall behind the clothes washer that leaked for some time without
being noticed.

By the time it was noticed her slab had failed and a gigantic amount
of work was required. They had to move into an apartment while the
work was being done. It can sometimes be hard to find a leak when you
have a slab but some plumbers will try. If it is is a leak then the
builder probably won't be liable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

On 23 Feb 2007 18:23:03 -0800, "Lawrence"
wrote:

On Feb 23, 5:52 pm, cox wrote:
[...]

Thanks. When I said that I would be calling an engineer for an
evaluation, I meant that would be the last step of this agonizing
exercise. I need more information from people like you that have some
experience or knowledge about something like this. Calling an
engineer is a $500 job and I will have to clearly educate myself
before I do that in order to ask the right questions or be
knowledgeable enough to absorb what he says. If I am equipped with
the right information, I might make some preliminary analysis with
more attention to things and what is being discussed here instead of
trying to kill myself with this mental stumbling block. Therefore,
its imperative that people like you respond and give me the ideas.
After all, that is what the usenet forum is about, isn't it? Thank you
for your response. I will carefully look around the water lines and
other possible places for any wetness or condensation.

stony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Could be lots of things.

Minor sheet rock cracks could be cause by structural problems or just
extreme humidity change. Did you recently install a new ac which is better
at dehumidfying the air?

Tiles fail if the subfloor isn't perfect or thick enuf. You didn't mention
which floor the tiles cracked but if the second floor it could be inadequate
subflooring. One joist put in low (like my house) will screw up a tile
floor. Slab cracks are common and can cause tiles to crack. Brick requires
maintenence. It has to be pointed out every few years. Yours is due. Also
it is possible that the mason used inadequate brick ties to tie the brick
wall to house frame.

"cox" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 06:14:07 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The tiles are on the first floor concrete
floor. The cracks are in the foyer which is a 7'x15' area. The
cracks travel thru 1-2 tiles, some via the grout and some via the tile
crack itself. A couple of tiles next to the cracked ones have a
hollow sound when I tap on them. This leads me to believe that the
adhesive on the bottom of the tile is either deteriorated or receded.
Considering that a bunch of tiles have cracked like this, I am afraid
that I might not be able to find similar tiles.

stony

Could be lots of things.

Minor sheet rock cracks could be cause by structural problems or just
extreme humidity change. Did you recently install a new ac which is better
at dehumidfying the air?

Tiles fail if the subfloor isn't perfect or thick enuf. You didn't mention
which floor the tiles cracked but if the second floor it could be inadequate
subflooring. One joist put in low (like my house) will screw up a tile
floor. Slab cracks are common and can cause tiles to crack. Brick requires
maintenence. It has to be pointed out every few years. Yours is due. Also
it is possible that the mason used inadequate brick ties to tie the brick
wall to house frame.

"cox" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

New tiles will never match unless they are from the same batch which is
unlikely. If it were me, I would pull them up and see what is going on with
the slab before deciding what to do next.

wrote:

[...]

"cox" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cracks in tiles. Since you said that some have a hollow sound when you
tap on them, that is NOT deteriorated glue or anything like that, it
is a lack of it. I wonder what kind of adhesive they used? Since you
have a concrete slab, they should have just used thinset mortar like
stuff. If you have tile in other places on the slab besides the foyer
and they aren't cracking, you might get lucky and the only problem you
have is a poor installation job. This happened in my new house which
is on a wooden floor, I have a crawl space. A majority of the tile had
to be replaced because they didn't use enough glue. The tiles will
crack when you walk on them if there isn't or mortar like adhesive on
the entire underside of the tile and the same thickness under the
tile. You will also see that the grout joint starts deteriorating from
the minor movement of the tile.

Its really hard to say if you have a slab problem. If your brick on
the outside doesn't have long cracks, many feet and there are no
cracks in the visible concrete footer/slab, then you likely don't have
a foundation problem.

What kind of soil do you have, is it clay?

Your house will actually shrink over time because everything it was
built with is drying out. If it is stick built, which I imagine it is
in Dallas, not much modular construction up there, then it was rained
on. All the 2x4's got wet. If they didn't dry real well before it was
closed in and drywalled, then the timbers are slowly shrinking and
voila, you have cracks showing up.

If I were you, I wouldn't call an engineer, at least yet. get the
tiles pulled up, heck, take a hammer and break them out your self.
Another excuse to buy another tool, I love those opportunities. Get a
2 inch wide brick chisel and chip away and clean up the adhesive on
the slab and look, do you see any cracks? If not, get the tile
installed correctly, fix the cracks in the walls with some drywall mud
and your index finger, watch for doors or windows sticking and live
life. Some may say you have to use drywall tape or mesh over those
cracks but if it were me, I'd go the easy route first with the spackle
and finger. You could use a pointed can opener and v-shape each crack
first so you can get more spackle in the crack areas, this would
probably be better then just trying to dab/force some in the crack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cox" wrote in message
| Folks,
|
| I have been losing sleep and my head over cracks in drywall and a
| dozen tile cracks. I live in North Dallas and have experienced this
| over some period of time. All of the drywall cracks are about 1/8" or
| less. There are some cracks at the corners of the windows that have
| stayed the same for about 15-16 months now. There is one crack that
| runs horizontally in the ceiling of the houses which is about 6 feet
| in length. This crack is about 1/8" at the start and then decreases.
| I have not noticed any problems closing any windows or doors (atleast
| not so far, knock on wood!!) All of the tile cracks are about 1/16" or
| less. Some are hairline that can be barely seen. Others are about
| 1/16" inch. I have walked around the house and seen some minor cracks
| in bricks in 1 or 2 places. I do not see any cracks in the
| foundation. Ours is a slab on foundation (without any basement). Ours
| is a 2 story house. I have seen some hairline cracks in the garage
| concrete floor. I will be calling an engineer for an evaluation, but
| before that wanted to get an understanding about what this all means.
| What do the cracks in tiles mean, what do the cracks in the drywall
| mean? Some of the windows have vertical cracks at the place where
| caulking and drywall meet. Not all windows have this pattern, like
| for example the windows closest to the corners seem to have the
| problem but the interior ones seem not to much of cracking. I have
| seen some caulking cracks. The tile cracks all are in the center of
| the house and seem to run 1-2 tile at some spots. Please help with
| your opinions. Meanwhile, this house is 7 years old and still under
| warranty with regard to foundation and structural elements like
| framing etc. Thanks for your help.
|
| stony

the problem is probably the 2 story house you have on a slab foundation.
it should only be 1 story on slabs unless they put in footings around
the perimeter and 12 inches of concrete floor.

where the tiles cracked
is it near a lally column or post?

Posted to alt.home.repair

American Leak Detection provides Leak Detection Without Destruction.

Go to www.americanleakdetection.com to find the Leak Specialist near
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

On 24 Feb 2007 19:39:49 -0800, "dreamchaser"
wrote:

and your index finger, watch for doors or windows sticking and live
life.

Thank you for your message, dreamchaser. I wish I had the courage of
so many people that go thru with these type of situations in life. I
hate to say that I am kinda weak when it comes to situations like
these. I have been worried sick ever since the full force of the
possiblities that could be happening hit me. I did not know of
foundation issues or drywall issues or tile over slab issues until I
start investingating why my walls were cracking. Then, the more I
read, the more it started bothering me. Then I started reading about
how the foundation has to be underpinned in the event of a foundation
problem. I honestly did not know of all these until this
investigation began about 3-4 months ago. This house is about ~7.5
years old and still under structural warranty by the builder. I have
read horror stories about how the builder will not honor his warranty.
I have heard about how they try to shift blame etc. All this has me
completely depressed with thoughts of killing myself. Its a horrible
thought but that is what emotions and depression make you feel. Please
don't mistake me for a depressed individual to begin with. But these
cracks in tiles and drywall along with the horror stories have me
thoroughly depressed and confused. My thoughts every minute are about
which crack is widening or which new cracks surface or what sound the
subfloor makes when I walk on them etc. I go to sleep thinking about
these and wake up thinking about these. I wish no one has to go thru
these experiences. That is my sad state of life with the situation as
it is.

stony

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All this has me
completely depressed with thoughts of killing myself. Its a horrible
thought but that is what emotions and depression make you feel. Please
don't mistake me for a depressed individual to begin with. But these
cracks in tiles and drywall along with the horror stories have me
thoroughly depressed and confused. My thoughts every minute are about
which crack is widening or which new cracks surface or what sound the
subfloor makes when I walk on them etc. I go to sleep thinking about
these and wake up thinking about these. I wish no one has to go thru
these experiences. That is my sad state of life with the situation as
it is.

Hey, it's not that bad. If you are depressed then you need to tell
your doctor. Lifsaving medication is available for those who have
negative thoughts. Please look into it.

If you tell a doctor or other liscensed professional that you want to
kill yourself they are required by law to make a report to public
health officials. For most, that is worth avoiding since some of
these officials will not hesitate to have you commited to a hospital.
So when the doctor asks you if you want to kill yourself heres what
you say: NO, but I have felt very deperate at times.

When you go to the doctor and complain of depression you will get a
prescription every time. No doctor want to take a chance with a
disease which when untreated can lead to a terrible consequences .

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , cox says...

wrote:

[...]

Take things a step at a time.

People swap horror stories all the time - the worst of them get repeated more,
so you hear about the worst possibilities more. That does not depict real life.
Real life is a mix of such problems being everything from trivial and
inconsequential, to needing a little repair, to needing some moderate repair, to
more serious problems and remedies. MOST of reality is on the trivial to
moderate side of that spectrum.

You're lucky that you're still under warranty. Builders are not all crooks,
most of them are not crooks.

I went through a bit of a phreaky period after I noticed some imperfections in
my house. Then I thought about why I bought it, its location, how much I enjoy
the imperfectly built (before code was in force in my semi-rural area) addition.
And over the years went about some refurbishments and repairs. Almost all
making the house more fun to live in and/or more valuable compared to other
hosues in the area. And I stopped losing sleep over it.

The house isn't going to fall down. All houses have imperfections. Just take
this step by step, by consulting an engineer. Make an appointment Monday.
Knowledge of the real facts will give you assurance. Keep the warranty in mind
if you need to take that as the next step. But you may well find out that your
particular problems aren't because of any serious structural problem. Even if
there is, the remedies aren't necessarily hugely expensive and scary.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
cox cox is offline

In article , cox says...

wrote:

and your index finger, watch for doors or windows sticking and live
life.

Lawrence and Banty, thank you for your responses! Truly appreciated.
As I said before, this is never my natural demeanor! Only caused by
the unknowns in the cracks equation that I am trying to solve. I
wonder how serious the situation is if there is cracking in the
drywall and the floor tiles. Will post here once I have some engineer
or someone take a look at 'em. Thanks again.

stony

drywall cracking basspro Woodworking 6 July 9th 06 07:21 AM
drywall cracks in corners xyz Home Repair 6 April 7th 04 09:30 AM