Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Cracks in a pier and beam house - retexture or drywall ?

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

We're moving into a house which was built in 1959, and most of the
rooms have small cracks in the wall plaster above the door jams and in
a few places on the ceiling. Over the years it looks like the cracks
have been poorly patched and painted over, so the walls in some areas
look rather bad.

One thing I would consider is cause. It is possible that the floor is
sagging below the area where the cracks are above the door jams. If you go
under the house you may be able to jack up the floor joist back to level and
place additional support under the week places.

Now patch the cracks and they should not reappear.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.