Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a concrete basement floor

I have a house that I am going to be renting out that has a basement with
poured concrete walls and a concrete floor. The basement doesn't flood,
but it does have a sump pump, and the pump does pump out water from under
the slab, especially after a heavy rain. I don't want to refinish the
basement, but I do want to clean up the way it looks a little and eliminate
that slight musty smell. The basement is very high, clean, spacious, and
nice.

There is no detectable moisture that comes through the walls or the floors.
I tested this using the "tape and seal a piece of aluminum foil" trick on
the walls and the floor. After a few days, when the taped and sealed foil
is removed there is no moisture there. Despite all of this, there is a VERY
SLIGHT musty smell in the basement -- it is almost undetectable, but it's
there.

The house has an electric heat pump HVAC system. There are no intake or
supply vents in any of the HVAC ducts in the basement. My plan is to have
an HVAC person cut in some intake and supply vents so the basement will be
served by the HVAC the way the rest of the house is. I think that alone
will probably eliminate the slight musty smell in the basement.

I did the "acid wash" (or whatever it is called) on the walls and then
painted them with a very light blue DryLock paint just as an extra sealer on
the walls. I have more than enough DryLock paint left to also do the floor.

I now want to paint the floor -- either with just latex porch and floor
paint, or with the DryLock paint first and then with latex porch and floor
paint on top of that.

My inclination is to do the floor with the DryLock paint first, and then
paint over that with latex porch and floor paint.

Is that okay?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:14:09 -0400, "JayTKR"
wrote:

[...]

I'd think not. I'd apply a clear epoxy finish, specifically made for
concrete floors. And if I could not follow all the required
preparation, I'd leave the floor as is. You might need a
dehumidfier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

dehumidfier.- Hide quoted text -

The dehumidifiier is probably a better idea than adding heat/ac
registers to the basement. Doing so might bring that slight musty
smell to the whole house instead of eliminating it. Also, it may
cost more in energy cost than running the dehumidifier.

For the floor, I'd just go with any of the paints made specifically
for concrete. That's what I have on mine and it's held up well. I
just use my basement for storage. If you want a tougher product,
then the epoxy product could be a good choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JayTKR wrote:
[...]

If you must use the DryLock paint, I would be careful to follow label
instructions. As for musty smell, with little moisture in the basement,
simply improving ventilation seems key. Got appliances in b'ment?
Windows you can open?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

--------------

Thanks. I am still a little undecided, but I think I'm going to go ahead
with doing the DryLok first and then latex porch and floor paint. The
reason is that it's okay to paint over DryLok but not okay to DryLok over
paint. So, I'm thinking I'll try the DryLok as the sealer and to adhere to
the concrete, then paint over that. Also, both the latex DryLok and the
latex paint are supposedly able to "breathe" a little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
JayTKR wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I think the better ventilation with the HVAC changes, plus the
DryLok and paint, will clear up the problem. If not, I could always add a
dehumidifier as others have suggested, but I don't think I will end up
needing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JayTKR wrote:
wrote in message
m...
JayTKR wrote:
[...]

If there is stuff stored in the basement - clothing, soft furniture,
carpet, it will hold the musty smell for a long time. Cleaning and
airing stored goods should help eliminate the odor when you get the
vent. improved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JayTKR" wrote
trader4 wrote

The dehumidifiier is probably a better idea than adding heat/ac
registers to the basement. Doing so might bring that slight musty
smell to the whole house instead of eliminating it. Also, it may
cost more in energy cost than running the dehumidifier.

Additional note is the existing HVAC was for the size of the house sans
basement. Trying to extend it to the basement will probably overload the
system which at best will make it just not able to properly heat/cool, and
at worst will burn it out causing complete replacement. The HVAC guy will
notice that though and warn ya ;-)

For the floor, I'd just go with any of the paints made specifically
for concrete. That's what I have on mine and it's held up well. I
just use my basement for storage. If you want a tougher product,
then the epoxy product could be a good choice.
--------------

Thanks. I am still a little undecided, but I think I'm going to go ahead
with doing the DryLok first and then latex porch and floor paint. The
reason is that it's okay to paint over DryLok but not okay to DryLok over
paint. So, I'm thinking I'll try the DryLok as the sealer and to adhere
to the concrete, then paint over that. Also, both the latex DryLok and
the latex paint are supposedly able to "breathe" a little.

I think the drylock and cement paint will be fine.

The faint mustyness is probably more related to lack of airflow stirring
about if it's as well sealed as it sounds. I'd try a dehumidifier that also
has a bit of a fan unit to it and see if that helps, as my first tactic. If
it seems to help (will take a few days) you may just need an ionizer fan
unit to complete the process. Your renters will vastly prefer to not have
to pay to heat a storage basement in winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no detectable moisture that comes through the walls or the
floors.
I tested this using the "tape and seal a piece of aluminum foil" trick on
the walls and the floor. After a few days, when the taped and sealed foil
is removed there is no moisture there. Despite all of this, there is a
VERY
SLIGHT musty smell in the basement -- it is almost undetectable, but it's
there.

Check for a basement "floor drain"..often nearby the water heater. I think
they' re mandated by code so there should be one there somewhere.
There's supposed to be a trap in these drains but they need water inside the
trap to be effective. (Some are installed with a small waterline to keep
them "filled" but most are not). See (smell) if the odor is coming from the
drain. Take the screen/grille off. It may need a cleaning in the event its
been left unattended/neglected with crud in it for years as is usually the
case. It may need a rinsing and refill of the trap..water with a little
bleach has worked for me.

Otherwise, I like the idea of putting return air vents in the basement. Our
house was built with them. I don't think much of builders who don't put
them in when finishing a home although many simply rely on the one BIG ONE,
attached directly to the Air handler, especially if the basement isn't going
to be "finished" right away. The reason for this being that they don't know
where the "next guy" may be putting walls/rooms etc when the basement does
get finished. Give some thought to that and let the HVAC guy know where
YOU'd like the vents (think..where might I put bedrooms/bath etc. later ? )
as opposed to where the AC guy "thinks" they should go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
JayTKR wrote:
wrote in message
m...
JayTKR wrote:
[...]

The basement is completely empty, and has been for 2 years. There is no
carpet. The only "appliances" in the basement are the heat pump HVAC and an
electric water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

[...]

There is no floor drain or open sewer line/vent. In fact the sewer line
from upstairs goes out to the outside at the ceiling level of the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is no floor drain or open sewer line/vent. In fact the sewer line
from upstairs goes out to the outside at the ceiling level of the
basement.

You say that both the HW tank and HVAC air handler are in the basement.
What provision was made for the HW tank leaking and the condensate "drip"
from the AC. Surely there is some sort of drain there ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 2:03*am, "Rudy" wrote:
There is no floor drain or open sewer line/vent. *In fact the sewer line
from upstairs goes out to the outside at the ceiling level of the
basement.

You say that both the HW tank and HVAC air handler are in the basement.
What provision was made for the HW tank leaking and the condensate "drip"
from the AC. *Surely there is some sort of drain there ?

Around here, NJ, new construction, in a basement the condensate is
normally handled by a small pump taking it outside. The water heater
TPV valve is plumbed with a pipe to a few inches of the floor. No
basement floor drain required by code and rarely are they found. I
think floor drains introduce as many problems as they solve, ie
[potential backflow issues.

The houses do have sump pump pits, but the builder usually only
includes the actual pump if there is groundwater so that it is
required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message
There is no floor drain or open sewer line/vent. In fact the sewer line
from upstairs goes out to the outside at the ceiling level of the
basement.

You say that both the HW tank and HVAC air handler are in the basement.
What provision was made for the HW tank leaking and the condensate "drip"
from the AC. Surely there is some sort of drain there ?

The hot water tank just happens to be next to a sump pump pit. Under the HW
tank there is a plastic pan to collect any small leaks, and a short hose
from that pan goes to the sump pump pit. The HW tank also has a pressure
relief valve and a tube that go down to near the floor. In the case of the
pressure relief valve being opened up, it would just empty onto the basement
floor near the sump pump pit.

The HVAC has a condensate pump that automatically pumps the condensate drip
up through a clear plastic tube and out through the side of the house where
the outside condenser is located, and that just drips out onto the ground
outside.

I have several houses where the HW tank and HVAC are set up the same way --
some with sump pumps in the basement and some without, and all without any
floor drain in the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ARRGGH, painting a concrete floor just creates a lifetime of grief the
paint peels easily, everytime something moves over floor.

install a computer muffin fan exhausting to the outside, uses nearly
no energy, end of musty smell.

if you insist on paint then go professionally applied epoxy, at least
its fairly durable.

or tile the floor.

paint? had a house like that, constantly looked bad. repainting makes
thick paint more likely to peel.

i ended up stripping the paint and vinyl tiling floor

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 05:29:40 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

ARRGGH, painting a concrete floor just creates a lifetime of grief the
paint peels easily, everytime something moves over floor.

install a computer muffin fan exhausting to the outside, uses nearly
no energy, end of musty smell.

if you insist on paint then go professionally applied epoxy, at least
its fairly durable.

or tile the floor.

paint? had a house like that, constantly looked bad. repainting makes
thick paint more likely to peel.

i ended up stripping the paint and vinyl tiling floor

I really like my concrete floors, finished in clear epoxy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ARRGGH, painting a concrete floor just creates a lifetime of grief the
paint peels easily, everytime something moves over floor.

install a computer muffin fan exhausting to the outside, uses nearly
no energy, end of musty smell.

if you insist on paint then go professionally applied epoxy, at least
its fairly durable.

or tile the floor.

paint? had a house like that, constantly looked bad. repainting makes
thick paint more likely to peel.

i ended up stripping the paint and vinyl tiling floor

I really like my concrete floors, finished in clear epoxy.

If I ever hit the lotto and build a house, that is my plan. Maybe epoxy
the walls, too. No upkeep, but none of the dust bare concrete seems to
produce. I'll never have a finished basement, other than maybe a few
partition walls to seperate mechanical room, workshop, laundry, etc. And
they will be covered in wood, not drywall. No ceiling. If something is
leaking, I want to see it immediately, and be able to get to it. I want
to be able to clean the basement with a leaf blower. (Walkout with wide
door, of course...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

ARRGGH, painting a concrete floor just creates a lifetime of grief the
paint peels easily, everytime something moves over floor.

install a computer muffin fan exhausting to the outside, uses nearly
no energy, end of musty smell.

if you insist on paint then go professionally applied epoxy, at least
its fairly durable.

or tile the floor.

paint? had a house like that, constantly looked bad. repainting makes
thick paint more likely to peel.

i ended up stripping the paint and vinyl tiling floor

A GOOD concrete floor paint, applied to a properly prepared concrete
floor, CAN last a long time. Like 20 to 30 years. But it needs to be a
high quality paint, and the floor needs to be CLEAN and properly
prepared.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A GOOD concrete floor paint, applied to a properly prepared concrete
floor, CAN last a long time. Like 20 to 30 years. But it needs to be a
high quality paint, and the floor needs to be CLEAN and properly
prepared.

yep tenants would never carelessely move anything across the floor
scratching the paint

what might be OK in YOUR HOME may be a total bad idea in a
rental........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:32:18 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

A GOOD concrete floor paint, applied to a properly prepared concrete
floor, CAN last a long time. Like 20 to 30 years. But it needs to be a
high quality paint, and the floor needs to be CLEAN and properly
prepared.

yep tenants would never carelessely move anything across the floor
scratching the paint

what might be OK in YOUR HOME may be a total bad idea in a
rental........

Don't know what (grey) paint was used on the floor in my daughter's
basement - but it is EXTREMELY tough. You could drag a big block chevy
across it and not damage it. I just covered it with hardwood last week
- not that the hardwood will be more durable, but it sure looks a heck
of a lot better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you go with a dehumidifier, you need a "basement dehumidifier", not
a regular dehumidifier. A regular dehumidifier won't do anything in
the cooler basement temperatures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zzyzzx" wrote in message
If you go with a dehumidifier, you need a "basement dehumidifier", not
a regular dehumidifier. A regular dehumidifier won't do anything in
the cooler basement temperatures.

Interesting. Thanks. I didn't know that. Although I don't think I will
end up needing or using a dehumidifier for my situation, it is good to know
that for future reference.