Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decora dimmer?

Does anyone make a good Decora-style dimmer that doesn't require it's
own trim plate? e.g. I was looking at the display at the Home Despot and
I think it was Lutron dimmers that they carried, I have one in my
kitchen, it works fine but the trim plate came with it, and snaps on
rather than screws on. IIRC you could not use a regular screw on trim
plate with it.

The reason that I ask is that I would like to put a dimmer in my living
room, but if I did so, it would be one switch in a double gang box (the
other switch controls the porch light.) Personally left to my own
devices I would use a toggle and conventional dimmer with an old school
cast brass cover plate, but the design department has other ideas.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Does anyone make a good Decora-style dimmer that doesn't require it's own
trim plate? e.g. I was looking at the display at the Home Despot and I
think it was Lutron dimmers that they carried, I have one in my kitchen,
it works fine but the trim plate came with it, and snaps on rather than
screws on. IIRC you could not use a regular screw on trim plate with it.

The reason that I ask is that I would like to put a dimmer in my living
room, but if I did so, it would be one switch in a double gang box (the
other switch controls the porch light.) Personally left to my own devices
I would use a toggle and conventional dimmer with an old school cast brass
cover plate, but the design department has other ideas.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You must have been looking at a designer Lutron, but I can't imagine that it
wouldn't fit in a standard decora plate. Lutron Skylark, Diva, or maestro
will all fit in a standard decora plate, or a two piece screwless plate, if
you prefer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone make a good Decora-style dimmer that doesn't require it's own
trim plate? e.g. I was looking at the display at the Home Despot and I
think it was Lutron dimmers that they carried..

They carry at least two other brands and several different models at HD:

I ve looked at several ( and bought two different types..they have: slide,
slide w/ switch/ 3 position & 4 position button and finally the one that
you just "hold down" til the light level gets to what you re looking for.
All are Decora type and all will fit in a normal Decora faceplate.
They re not in the Lutron/Gucci display but down the aisle a ways.