Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP with Goo-Gone spill!!

We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Thanks,
Ron M.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:52:47 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled bstevens , to say:

We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Put goo-gone on the whole stone so it will look even.

On a more serious note, I'd contact the manufacturer and see if
they have a suggestion.

Thanks,
Ron M.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:56:54 -0700, Steve Daniels
wrote:

[...]

(Citrus and Petroleum Solvent-Based Stain Remover)

I looked at the MSDS Sheet. It suggest: STEPS TO BE TAKEN IN CASE OF
SPILLAGE OR LEAKAGE: Ventilate area. Spilled material can be picked up
with sorbant material. Use caution where surfaces may become slippery
from spilled material.

Cat litter?

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop...Goo%20Gone.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Lousy MSDS. Tells nothing about chemistry and it would not take much of
a dye or pigment to set the stain. I might try some household shower
spray with bleach and if that does not work the suggestion to stain the
whole surface might not be a bad idea. One of my fireplace hearths is
white brick and I've found it impossible to clean as stuff soaks in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Lousy MSDS. Tells nothing about chemistry and it would not take much of
a dye or pigment to set the stain. I might try some household shower
spray with bleach and if that does not work the suggestion to stain the
whole surface might not be a bad idea. One of my fireplace hearths is
white brick and I've found it impossible to clean as stuff soaks in.

Why not burn some wood which should discolor the whole thing evenly??

--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bstevens wrote:
We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

I don't know what the constituents of goo-gone are but do know that putting
a propane torch close to limestone so that it becomes hot does not sound
like a good idea.

Does goo-gone have organic solvents; how volatile are these; will they
evaporate over time?

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen other MSDS sheets state "proprietary mixture" and nothing
more. I don't think that takes away the suggestion to use an absorbent
material to dry it out.

OP could DAGS cleaning limestone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 4:52*pm, bstevens wrote:
We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. *I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Spill more. Go buy more and do the whole area, you wont clean it from
the stone, it may dry lighter it may not who cares it will all be even
and you wont be worrying you ruined anything anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Its possible that what you seeing is not the goo gone but the absence of a
finish that the goo gone removed.

Don't torch it!! stone masons use torches to texture stone and may make it
worse.

"bstevens" wrote in message
We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't God make limestone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bstevens wrote:
We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Propane torch? You clean fingerprints from the wall that way too?
Heck, the company has instructions for it's products on the web, as well
as customer service numbers:

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/solutions.aspx

Since several uses end with instructions to wash with water, it seems
logigal to try to wash it off. I would pile old towels around the
hearth to keep water off the carpet. Then lay soaking-wet towel on the
spot, let it soak, suck up with shop-vac. Repeat as needed. With a
brand new house, I'd be inclined to run that scenario past the tech
support at the mfg.

I've used cat litter to soak up spilled motor oil on concrete - works
fine on the oil but leaves some gray residue - probably micro-particles
of litter - on the concrete. Scary to use on a brand new hearth, but
might work. You might also contact your insurance company - ya never
know how helpful folks can be until you ask. Let us know )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, you are correct. I write a lot of MSDS's and while liking to fully
disclose all chemicals, client will often want to hold composition
confidential. Important thing is to disclose toxicity and flammability.
I often have to go back to the manufacturer who supplies an MSDS like
this to get further regulatory information. For example, a client wants
to market his US material in Europe. I'm working on one now with a
European associate and it's been 4 months gathering suppliers'
information. The Goo Gone MSDS satisfies OSHA and EPA regulations but
information is minimal.

Problem here is that while adequate clean up information is given,
product has soaked into a porous surface most likely causing stain by
small amount of coloring in product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My granite counter has one stain. For some reason the previous owner
would sit dish detergent bottles next to the sink. Never cleaned or
rinsed the bottles off or sat them on the sink edge. Try as we may,
the stain is still visible. We have lightened it a bit, but never get
it out.

The rest of the house was a perfect deal!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 7:18*pm, TD wrote:
Steve Daniels wrote :

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:52:47 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled bstevens , to say:

* * We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the
* * glass fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of
* * goo-gone onto the fireplace hearth. It's a very light,
* * cream-colored limestone. *I wiped it up as much as I could, but
* * it left a wet-looking spot on the stone about a foot wide. Is
* * there some way I can get it out? Will it dissipitate through the
* * stone over time?

* * I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch,
* * perhaps.... a blow dryer had no effect.

uhhh, you wanna burn down your house???
I never use the goo-gone. *I only use regular cooking oil. *It does a nice
job. *Don't leave opened containers. *Open only when you need more product,
then close again.

* * Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago,
* * and this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply
* * to the group.

Put goo-gone on the whole stone so it will look even.

On a more serious note, I'd contact the manufacturer and see if
they have a suggestion.

* * Thanks,
* * Ron M.

Lighter Fluid (Ronsonol-type, not charcoal grill type) and WD-40 are
both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:17:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

WD-40 are
both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.

Whatever happened to WD 1 - 39?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
WD-40 are
both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.

Whatever happened to WD 1 - 39?

WD 1 - 39 were the "failed" attempts by the lab at the Rocket Chemical
Company to create the "perfect" water displacement (WD) formula.

I kid you not...

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
WD-40 are
both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.

Whatever happened to WD 1 - 39?

WD 1 - 39 were the "failed" attempts by the lab at the Rocket Chemical
Company to create the "perfect" water displacement (WD) formula.

I kid you not...

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

I know, I just wanted to see who was heads up here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
WD-40 are
both great for removing adhesives from just about any surface.

Whatever happened to WD 1 - 39?

WD 1 - 39 were the "failed" attempts by the lab at the Rocket Chemical
Company to create the "perfect" water displacement (WD) formula.

I kid you not...

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

I just read the history of WD-40 and I noticed that they say "In 2009,
WD-40 Company introduced WD-40 Trigger Pro – a non-aerosol product
with the same WD-40 formula"

However, I've been buying this:

http://www.wd40.com/products/one-gallon/

and putting it in these for years:

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...&ne wsize=600

That's means they've had a "a non-aerosol product with the same WD-40
formula" available long before 2009, you just had to fill your own
WD-40 spray bottles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...2&size=2&wareh....

That's means they've had a "a non-aerosol product with the same WD-40
formula" available long before 2009, you just had to fill your own
WD-40 spray bottles.

Im pretty sure they had them earlier. I remember my dad buying pump
sprayers of WD40 from the traveling parts supplier when we had a
service station.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Obviously, they must be talking about the WD-40 Trigger Pro *can* but
the way they worded it sure make it sound like they just introduced "a
non-aerosol product with the same WD-40 formula" in 2009.

Even the 55 gallon drums have been around for many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
bstevens wrote:

We have a brand new home. I was cleaning some stickers off the glass
fireplace covers and spilled about half a cup full of goo-gone onto
the fireplace hearth. It's a very light, cream-colored limestone. I
wiped it up as much as I could, but it left a wet-looking spot on the
stone about a foot wide. Is there some way I can get it out? Will it
dissipitate through the stone over time?

I'm thinking of heating it with a small propane torch, perhaps.... a
blow dryer had no effect.

Please help - this is our brand new home, we moved in 1 week ago, and
this looks horrible, right in the living room. Please reply to the
group.

Thanks,
Ron M.

You might try buying some "Spill Magic." It is made
to soak up oil spills. Check your local auto supply
store (Auto Zone, eg.).

--
8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree - the finish is now missing. You might need to refinish the
stone.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dymphna wrote:
I agree - the finish is now missing. You might need to refinish the
stone.

Finish on stone? Never heard of such a thing. Some sort of sealer?

Back in the stone age when I was actually seeing stone put in, it was
just cut, sometimes sorta polished, and installed. Limestone (and brick)
around fireplaces would usually get that nasty black color to it (being
porous and all, and sucking up the smoke), so I guess it doesn't
surprise me that somebody developed a sealer for that application.

--
aem sends...