Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Painting question? ? ?

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a
semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first use
a primer or some other dulling solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:43:08 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a
semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first use
a primer or some other dulling solution?

Not in my IMHO.

Use a 000 or 0000 steel wool pad to rub and freshen the surface.. Then
clean the trim with a painter tac cloth and then paint with your gloss
paint.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray | 2009-08-14 | 2:43:08 PM wrote:

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then
a semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to
first use a primer or some other dulling solution?

I recommend that, as well as implementing Oren's suggestions, you clean
everything with TSP to remove oils and dirt that might keep the paint
from sticking. If you want to be thorough, you can use a liquid
deglosser.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

We repaint a lot of interiors that were previously painted with latex. We
just wipe down the old base with a damp cloth to clean off the dust and then
paint with new latex. 25+ years, no call backs.

cm

"Ray" wrote in message
Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a
semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first
use a primer or some other dulling solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a
semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first
use a primer or some other dulling solution?

You can safely just wash it down with rags, ruff just a bit with sand paper
(or steel wool of a fine grit) and repaint. You only have to be fancy if
putting latex over oil base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2009 9:02 AM cshenk spake thus:

"Ray" wrote

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards,
windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a
semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first
use a primer or some other dulling solution?

You can safely just wash it down with rags, ruff just a bit with sand paper
(or steel wool of a fine grit) and repaint. You only have to be fancy if
putting latex over oil base.

And even in that case it won't be a problem if the oil-based paint is
dead flat, either originally flat or de-glossed from years of
weathering. (I routinely apply latex paint over oil-based primer, flat.)

Another Painting Question Dottie Home Repair 7 November 8th 08 05:13 AM
A painting question Ultraglide Home Repair 6 August 27th 08 05:21 AM
Painting question R UK diy 8 September 15th 05 07:18 AM
A painting question.... Peter Home Repair 15 July 16th 05 05:20 AM