Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default A frustrating bathtub problem

1. I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:
1. I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

Washers under the screw or epoxy glue the works?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 7:15*am, jim wrote:
1. *I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match * *them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

Go here and scroll almost to the end looking for Smitty Plate.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html

Not the most elegant solution but it will give you access.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
1. I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

*My Kohler valves came with several different extensions to accommodate
different wall dimensions. Perhaps your manufacturer has a solution. I
would try contacting them and also go to a plumbing supply and see if there
are solutions that the pros use. The alternative is to pick out some
complimentary tile to go with the existing and change the valves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 8:05*am, LouB wrote:
jim wrote:
1. *I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match * *them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

Washers under the screw or epoxy glue the works?

Lou

If I understand the issue, spacers won't help.

If the handle needs to be left loose, it means it has to be pulled off
the stem threads so it is barely catching, thus stripping out.

Spacers may allow for a tight screw, but it'll still be just catching
the threads.

OP: Have I pictured this correctly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 7:15*am, jim wrote:
1. *I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match * *them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

Do the screw fasten like a setscrew or do they screw axially into the
end of the stem. If axially then a spacer made of hobby brass tubing
can be inserted into the handle and replace the screws with longer
ones.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote:
1. I have no access to the tub taps from the rear. Outside wall
2. The previous owner never purchased extra tile for spares when they
tiled the entire bathroom - can't match them up.
3. The valves are Waltec. The valve seats are fine. The installer
placed the assembly too far into the tile. The only way to turn the
water off is to keep the handle screw loose as the tile prevents the
tap from fully closing when the handle is tightly seated.
4. This causes the handle to strip out. Always.

Is there a way to replace or modify without the a completed tile job?

I had free help give me the same problem. Like others said, either use
washers/spacers and a longer screw, or cut/file,grind down the back side
of the knob where it it hitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pull the valve stem, take it to the store, and see if a
similar valve stem can be found with a longer reach.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message

Washers under the screw or epoxy glue the works?

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

Washer in side the handle will strip the matching spline and
socket. That's what the OP is having, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DT" wrote in message

Or, space them out with a washer inside the handle and use a
screw that
is longer so everything will tighten up.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

.

"DT" wrote in message

Or, space them out with a washer inside the handle and use a
screw that
is longer so everything will tighten up.

--
Dennis

Thanks folks. I was able to get longer stems to fit. Saved me a
bundle. BTW Home Despot and the like advised a tear out as the only
resolve. The 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working
out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A frustrating bathtub problem- SOLVED

"DT" wrote in message

Or, space them out with a washer inside the handle and use a
screw that
is longer so everything will tighten up.

--
Dennis

Thanks folks. I was able to get longer stems to fit. Saved me a
bundle. BTW Home Despot and the like advised a tear out as the only
resolve. The 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working
out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.

And thank you for reporting the solution!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:07:01 -0400, LouB wrote:

Thanks folks. I was able to get longer stems to fit. Saved me a
bundle. BTW Home Despot and the like advised a tear out as the only
resolve. The 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working
out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.

And thank you for reporting the solution!

It always helps to have a good neighbor.

And probably even more it pays to get advice from an actual
knowledgeable source instead of expecting the Borg 'droid to have a clue...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
jim wrote:

he 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working
out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.

I'd be down there tomorrow dropping off a bottle of Jack Daniels if I
were you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, a complimentary Book of Mormon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I'd be down there tomorrow dropping off a bottle of Jack
Daniels if I
were you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DT" wrote in message

Or, space them out with a washer inside the handle and use a
screw that
is longer so everything will tighten up.

--
Dennis

Thanks folks. I was able to get longer stems to fit. Saved me a
bundle. BTW Home Despot and the like advised a tear out as the only
resolve. The 75 year old semi - retired plumber 2 blocks down working
out of his basement had the solution and gave me the new parts gratis.

And thank you for reporting the solution!

And another thanks of appreciation for the followup. Sometimes the
best solution is the most simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Or, a complimentary Book of Mormon.

I was gonna say a plate of cookies, or fresh veggies from the garden.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

The plate of cookies is less likely to get you a half hour
ranting diatribe from a Baptist minister who moonlights as a
plumber. There is much wisdom in your counsell, wise one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus