Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem caulking around bathtub

A while back I recaulked my bathtub. After clearing away the old
caulk, cleaning all of the surfaces and applying the new caulk, I
allowed the caulk to dry for about two days before using the tub
again. I thought this would be plenty of time, but the very first time
I took a shower the caulk just got soft, pulled away from the wall and
I had a botched caulk job on my hands.

Thinking I hadn't allowed the caulk long enough to dry, I did the job
a second time and this time gave it a whopping five days in which to
dry. During this time I used a shower stall on the first floor and did
not use the tub I recaulked at all. However, to my amazement and
disappointment, the next time I showered the caulk once again got all
soft and useless.

Has anyone else had this happen? Am I making some sort of stupid
mistake and just not seeing it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 02:24:37 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"ValveJob" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:53:20 -0700, wrote:

A while back I recaulked my bathtub. After clearing away the old
caulk, cleaning all of the surfaces and applying the new caulk, I
allowed the caulk to dry for about two days before using the tub
again. I thought this would be plenty of time, but the very first time
I took a shower the caulk just got soft, pulled away from the wall and
I had a botched caulk job on my hands.

Thinking I hadn't allowed the caulk long enough to dry, I did the job
a second time and this time gave it a whopping five days in which to
dry. During this time I used a shower stall on the first floor and did
not use the tub I recaulked at all. However, to my amazement and
disappointment, the next time I showered the caulk once again got all
soft and useless.

Has anyone else had this happen? Am I making some sort of stupid
mistake and just not seeing it?

The caulk you used had expired.

The solution is simple. Get a new tube of caulk. Try a different
brand.

Fresh caulk helps. The pulling away from the wall is a big clue, too. Tile
is not degreased enough, and possibly the tub is flexing. Is it cast iron,
or steel or plastic? Iron usually won't sag, but on a more flexible tub it
sometimes helps to fill the tub with water before you caulk, to put the tub
in weight-bearing mode.

Or 2/3 fill it? So that it's halfway between it's weight when your
in it it with water versus when it's empty.

It's hard to do caulking and keep the sufrace dry when the tub has
water in it. I think maybe I gave up on that and just sat in the tub
msyefl, although I don't think I'm heavy as the water.

So far I've been trying to do this for 20 years and I havent' got it
yet. I even tried that preformed bathbut cauld once.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 6:20 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone else had this happen? Am I making some sort of stupid
mistake and just not seeing it?

What *kind* of caulk? Acrylic? Silicone? Butyl? Polysulfide? Et
cetera...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I think for this job you can use GE Silicone II Caulk. This is the one
sold at Home Depot, well it is in the Porchester HOme Depot, NY.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/caulk.htm

The web site has a sort of review of Caulks. I have used the GE
product and it worked for me. The one I used was for Bathrooms, and
has the mold and mildew supressent chemicals in it. GE Silicone II
Kitchen and Bath with BioSeal.

http://www.geadvancedmaterials.com/g...enandbath.html

Best, Mike.