Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Attach Drop-In Sink

I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk. Do I
need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing connections enough
to hold it in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Aynum wrote:
I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk.
Do I need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing
connections enough to hold it in place?

Adhesive is insufficient. There should be some method for a mechanical
connection to the countertop, typically clamping devices securing the sink
from underneath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/11/2009 7:19 AM (ET) Perry Aynum wrote the following:
I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk. Do I
need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing connections enough
to hold it in place?

It's a china sink. It's heavy enough not to go anywhere with just the
sealant.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

The last couple I've done came with a small tube of sealant that
looked just like normal flexible tub caulk. I let it set up a few
hours before I completed the plumbing, so it wouldn't shift around.
The amount they sent me wasn't much, so I used tub caulk to make a
smooth bead around the edge. The weight of the sink was more than
sufficient to keep it in place. Much nicer looking than the ones with
an aluminum rim, IMHO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Silicone caulk will do fine. It's not going to fall through being a 'drop
in'. One that is attached from beneath would require physical attachment
with screws and binders.

Yes, there's no way to physically attach it - it's just unglazed china
underneath. I picked up a tube of DAP bathroom caulk/adhesive which seems
like it will seal and help keep it seated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk.
Do I need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing
connections enough to hold it in place?

Adhesive is insufficient. There should be some method for a mechanical
connection to the countertop, typically clamping devices securing the sink
from underneath.

'Should be' and 'is current common practice' are not always the same
thing. The cheap builder-grade drop-ins I have seen lately have no
doohickeys on the bottom to mate with the clamps. The ring of putty or
caulk, and the downforce of the drain trap, are all that holds them in
place. The one in my bathroom is sorta floating right now- I popped the
caulk loose changing the trap, and never bothered to redo it.

Maybe somebody makes a gigantic C-shaped spring steel thing that you put
the drain tail through, that presses up against bottom of counter?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
[...]

Excellent idea, but I'm beginning to think there are ways, they're just
secret!

I asked here about a year ago how to attach a sink given that all it had was
an upside-down U-channel and nobody could figure out how to anchor the sink.
But I found it.

Imagine a flat strip of metal that you bend into a U about 3/8" wide. Now
take the upper legs of the U and fold them over inwards. Then weld the U
thingy to the sink. That's what I had.

As it turns out...

The distance between the folded over strips would exactly permit the
introduction of the head of an 8-32 machine bolt, its head held in place by
the gap between the folded over parts and the bottom of the U.

Once that scheme was discovered, the rest was easy and consisted of a flat
piece of metal with a hole for the bolt and a nut.

I can now heave large - even huge - bits of food into the sink without a
care whether the sink will move. Heck, I can toss in a whole critter!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Aynum" wrote in
:

Silicone caulk will do fine. It's not going to fall through being a
'drop in'. One that is attached from beneath would require physical
attachment with screws and binders.

Yes, there's no way to physically attach it - it's just unglazed china
underneath. I picked up a tube of DAP bathroom caulk/adhesive which
seems like it will seal and help keep it seated.

I would have gone with one of the 100% silicone products. Silicone is used
for assembling fish tanks BTW. But if it's already in with the DAP, leave
it and address if it fails.

If you ever use silicone, even with a brand new tube, open it and put a
glob on scrap. It should skin in 30min. If it hasn't skinned in 45-60
minutes it's no good and will never dry properly if at all. Many have been
burned by not doing this including yours truly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Aynum wrote:
I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk. Do I
need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing connections enough
to hold it in place?

the caulk and gravity are all you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:19:58 -0400, "Perry Aynum"
wrote:

I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk. Do I
need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing connections enough
to hold it in place?

All I use is silicone seal/caulk around the underside as a glue and
then the usual wiped bead all around the outside exposed edge to seal
out water and hide any gap. Seems to work fine for me.