Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gloat! - Open Box Shed Kit

I didn't need anything as big or as costly as the shed kits at the
borgs so I drew up some plans for an 8 x 6 x 6 lean-to style shed to
store a few items in my backyard

I hooked up the trailer, headed off to HD and $250 later I had all the
2x4's, plywood and T1-11 that I needed for the shed. Just as I pulled
in the driveway I go "D*mn... forgot the stuff my wife needs for her
project."

So I drop the trailer and head back to HD. This time I go in a
different door and notice a big hand-written sign that says "Open Box
Shed Kits On Sale. Inquire At Customer Service."

"What the heck. I'll see what they got." I end up meeting the nicest
HD manager ever. She walked me over to 4 open box kits, one of which
was an 8 x 8 x 8 Regent II, the one I would have bought if I wanted to
spend the bucks.

http://www.handyhome.com/regent.htm

Regularly $499, she marked it down 50% to $249 - the same amount I
paid for the wood for my little lean-to! We went back inside, she rang
me put, put a Sold sign on the kit and told me to see her when I came
back with my trailer.

I go home, get the trailer, return all my wood and go looking for
Shannon. When I find her, she says "Let me get a fork-truck. Where are
you parked?" So now I've got a manager driving the fork truck and
helping me load the kit in my trailer - a kit I'm sure they didn't
make much money, if any, on. I look the kit over real quick and notice
that there are no instructions. Shannon goes back inside, looks them
up on the web and prints out the 36 page manual saying "If there's
anything else missing, find me during the days or tell any other
manager that Shannon said to give you what you need.

I've bad mouthed the borgs in the past, but this time I gotta Shannon
her props!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Don't tell us, send an email to corporate. Customer appreciation letters
look real good in a personnel file.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:05:40 -0400, aemeijers
wrote Re Gloat! - Open Box Shed Kit:

I've bad mouthed the borgs in the past, but this time I gotta Shannon
her props!

Don't tell us, send an email to corporate. Customer appreciation letters
look real good in a personnel file.

Ditto on that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 9, 11:15*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I guess she's not interested in transferring to DC-land? there's a
couple HDs around here that need people like her.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 12:05*am, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Way ahead of you. I started wrting the letter before I posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
[...]

That person is just a point off the curve and will quickly get burned
out while looking for a real job. A relative got thrown under the bus
when a company she worked for closed. She is a bright conscientious
person. She took a "manager" position at home cheepo. She got paid a
whopping $10/hour because the "manager" position is on the high end. For
that she needed to deal with the range of problems that occur all day
plus on certain days show up at 5 AM by herself to open the store and on
certain days close the store by herself late at night. She did her best
just like the person who was described and quickly left when she found a
real job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 10, 8:48*am, George wrote:
N8N wrote:
[...]

real job.- Hide quoted text -

I was one of 125 new employees hired when a Lowes store first opened.
I lasted 6 months. After 5 years there are only 2 of the original 125
hirees left in the store. They went thru 7 store managers in those 5
years. Nationally Lowes has a 80% employee turnover rate.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:05:40 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote a paean about Shannon at the local HD:

[cut]
I've bad mouthed the borgs in the past, but this time I gotta Shannon
her props!

Don't tell us, send an email to corporate. Customer appreciation letters
look real good in a personnel file.

Agree with AEM, plus which HD does she work at? I want to shop there
(Victor, Penfield, Henrietta, Webster, which?) next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:36d42c36-5a40-4d23-b7dc-
:

[...]

You...have been assimilated! :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 2:25*pm, Red Green wrote:
[...]

You...have been assimilated! :-)- Hide quoted text -

You know, to some extent that's true.

As I looked over the plans, I found an "upgrade" I want to make and
need a couple of more studs.

I will be driving past a Lowes on the way home, and going to HD will
be slightly out of my way, but I'm gonna stop at HD for the studs to
give them my business. I'm not swearing off Lowes, but at least as far
as this shed project goes, I'll buy my materials where Shannon works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

Hell I'm more guilty than you. Way more guilty.

Anyway, I fell in love with Seven of Nine over a decade ago and started
gluing power tools to my head.

As I looked over the plans, I found an "upgrade" I want to make and
need a couple of more studs.

I will be driving past a Lowes on the way home, and going to HD will
be slightly out of my way, but I'm gonna stop at HD for the studs to
give them my business. I'm not swearing off Lowes, but at least as far
as this shed project goes, I'll buy my materials where Shannon works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just an update...

As I spend some quality evenings with this shed, I'm even happier that
I got it for 50% off, but not for the reason you might expect.

Per the plans, their idea of a stud wall is a top plate and three
studs toenailed into the floor frame. No bottom plate, and no studs in
the corners. The back wall doesn't even have studs, just a cross-
frame. See page 10 of these instructions...

http://www.handyhome.com/instruction...ingston8x8.pdf

I bought some extra studs to build regular stud walls just to make
myself feel better. So instead of actually erecting the shed last
night, I spent the few hours of daylight available cutting studs to
build *real* walls. The cost of the studs, while relatively minor, is
cutting into my 50% discount.

To some extent, I guess I could accuse HD of false advertising. I
looked at the display shed in their parking lot and noticed that they
added a 4 x 8 sheet of particle board across the back-wall cross
frame...something I didn't know was a "extra" until I compared it to
the plans. Not only did this addition hide the simple cross frame
"wall", I'm sure it adds a lot of stiffness to the structure.