Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question TREX

I am replacing my front steps which was built out of TREX three years
ago. It is flaking badly.

Would you replace it again with TREX, hoping for a good batch (friends I
know have had great luck with it), redwood, cedar, or another product.

My feeling is that regardless of what product I use, it will require
maintenance.

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kate wrote:
I am replacing my front steps which was built out of TREX three years
ago. It is flaking badly.

Would you replace it again with TREX, ...

The stuff has a much longer warranty than that, doesn't it???

I'd surely see about that aspect before deciding finally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my front steps which was built out of TREX three years ago.
It is flaking badly.

Would you replace it again with TREX, hoping for a good batch (friends I
know have had great luck with it), redwood, cedar, or another product.

My feeling is that regardless of what product I use, it will require
maintenance.

Many thanks.

Kate

I'd use Ipe. Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some Penofin oil
on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yes, I believe it is a 25 year warranty. I got a settlement from TREX,
and don't know whether or not to go that route again. Some family

I understand I got a bad batch. Hate to go through all the hassle again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my front steps which was built out of TREX three years ago.
It is flaking badly.

Would you replace it again with TREX, hoping for a good batch (friends I
know have had great luck with it), redwood, cedar, or another product.

My feeling is that regardless of what product I use, it will require
maintenance.

Many thanks.

Kate

I'd use Ipe. Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some Penofin oil
on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Thank you Ed. I have never heard of this type of wood. I just read
about it and it sounds very good. Do you know anyone who has used it
with success.

Again, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate writes:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am replacing my front steps which was built out of TREX three
years ago. It is flaking badly.

Would you replace it again with TREX, hoping for a good batch
(friends I know have had great luck with it), redwood, cedar, or
another product.

My feeling is that regardless of what product I use, it will
require maintenance.

Many thanks.

Kate

I'd use Ipe. Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some
Penofin oil on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Thank you Ed. I have never heard of this type of wood. I just read
about it and it sounds very good. Do you know anyone who has used it
with success.

I used 3" tongue and groove Ipe on a small covered porch:

Advantages:
- Tough, dense, stiff, difficult to scratch/gouge
- Lasts 50+ years (they use it on the Atlantic city
boardwalk) and supposedly has the same fire rating as steel (they
don't call it Iron Wood for nothing)
- Beautiful deep reddish/brown coloring brought out by oiling
- Affordable
- Renewable (I think but I'm not really a green person)

Disadvantages (ironically, mostly all due to the tougness of the wood)
- Labor intensive to install since the material is so tough -- you
typically need to pre-drill all screws/nails and it wears down saw
blades
- Doesn't glue very well due to the natural oils that also protect it
from rot. (you need to clean it with a solvent before gluing and use
high quality glues to make it work)
- Stain and oils don't sink in very well since the wood is so dense
and tough so you have to recoat every 6 months or so if you want it
to maintain it's new reddish brown look. Alternatively, if you are
OK with it turning silvery grey (like the Boardwalk) then there is
no need to coat it at all...

In summary, I love it and it's a great choice if you want a beautiful,
long-term, low maintenance (other than regular oiling)
surface. However you will likely need to pay a premium for
installation since it requires more labor or if you do it yourself it
will take more time than a softer wood or composite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
Kate writes:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Great info. Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I'd use Ipe. Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some Penofin
oil on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Thank you Ed. I have never heard of this type of wood. I just read about
it and it sounds very good. Do you know anyone who has used it with
success.

Again, thanks.

I've seen it on a couple of decks, the oldest being about 8 years and it
still looks great. If I ever do my deck over, it will be Ipe or mahogany.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 5:51*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I'd use Ipe. *Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some Penofin
oil on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Thank you Ed. *I have never heard of this type of wood. *I just read about
it and it sounds very good. *Do you know anyone who has used it with
success.

Again, thanks.

I've seen it on a couple of decks, the oldest being about 8 years and it
still looks great. *If I ever do my deck over, it will be Ipe or mahogany.

That's certainly a good application for ipe. If you have
environmental concerns, being a rainforest product, it's about as
ungreen a product as you will find though.

Trex is widely used and obviously doesn't normally fail in 3 years or
there would be lots of problems with it. You should get decades out
of it and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that reason. Also, there
are other similar composite products available.

Trex Railing [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 20th 07 04:10 PM
bending trex [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 7th 06 01:37 PM
Which Trex is Best? Andrew Duane Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 10:04 PM
Which Trex is Best? Jack Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 04:00 PM
trex decking steve Home Repair 1 November 14th 03 03:07 AM