Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question TREX

On Jul 31, 5:51*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I'd use Ipe. *Lasts 50 years or more with no treatment. Put some Penofin
oil on it every couple of years and it will outlast you.

Thank you Ed. *I have never heard of this type of wood. *I just read about
it and it sounds very good. *Do you know anyone who has used it with
success.

Again, thanks.

I've seen it on a couple of decks, the oldest being about 8 years and it
still looks great. *If I ever do my deck over, it will be Ipe or mahogany.

That's certainly a good application for ipe. If you have
environmental concerns, being a rainforest product, it's about as
ungreen a product as you will find though.

Trex is widely used and obviously doesn't normally fail in 3 years or
there would be lots of problems with it. You should get decades out
of it and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that reason. Also, there
are other similar composite products available.