Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grey Squirrel Birthing Patterns

I live in Massachusetts and squirrels have gotten into the area above
my sun parlor ceiling though some rotted fascia board. The entry point
is clearly visible.
Before trying to drive them out (I propose loud banging,
mothballs and ammonia soaked rags which I will position at the end
of the ceiling opposite the entry point by making another hole), can
someone tell me when the young are most likely to have left the nest?
Once before I waited until November, and had no problem with dead
squirrels/babies left inside. (My worst fear.)
Yep, you're right. I didn't extend the wire mesh far enough
beyond the point where they got in before and they chewed around it
and got in again!
*This time* I will be sure all the rotted wood is replaced
completely!
Thanks
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:47:34 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

[...]

Don't worry about the young. We call them "tree rats" here in
Tennessee for a reason--they breed like rats! Fix a heavy gauge
hardware cloth where they knawed through. Rotted wood is not good at
all, at any time in or on the home, remove it ASAP.

I trap squirrels to help reduce the population, but I need to trap
several times a year to keep it under control. Good luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Interesting question. You can probably find more than this:

http://www.squirrels.org/facts.html

I would imagine young might be out by now.

Son had problem last year that resulted in dead squirrel in wall and
cost him several hundred dollars for removal and repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 5:47*pm, frank1492 wrote:
[...]

It depends on area, in midwest chicago area babies came out in may,
but im sure another batch may be comming.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

frank1492 wrote:
I live in Massachusetts and squirrels have gotten into the area above
my sun parlor ceiling though some rotted fascia board. The entry point
is clearly visible.
Before trying to drive them out (I propose loud banging,
mothballs and ammonia soaked rags

Caution, rags soaked with ammonia may not work, they will just smell like
urine. Most wild animals have no problems with "natural smells" like urine,
etc. I have found that most animals cannot stand chemical smells. So try
something un-natural in the smell you want to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message

I live in Massachusetts and squirrels have gotten into the area above
my sun parlor ceiling though some rotted fascia board. The entry point
is clearly visible.
Before trying to drive them out (I propose loud banging,
mothballs and ammonia soaked rags which I will position at the end
of the ceiling opposite the entry point by making another hole), can
someone tell me when the young are most likely to have left the nest?

By late July the first litter has probably already left
the nest -- but you need never concern yourself about the
newborn's welfare when removing nesting squirrels. So
long as the adults have an easy route out (if you place a
long pole between the entry point and the ground) the adults
will carry the young out as soon as they decide to vacate.
Five to 10 minutes banging on the fascia (with another
long pole) usually suffices.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If your gray squirrel went North far enough he would be "grey". But
not in Mass. ; )

Game patterns Lou Woodworking 11 January 1st 08 01:25 AM
Dog Mailbox Patterns Tim and Jill Pochik Woodworking 5 January 20th 07 07:37 PM
Pulltoy patterns victoria Woodworking 1 October 1st 06 05:54 AM
Scroll Saw Patterns? Steve Blake Woodworking 2 January 1st 05 02:19 AM
Test patterns Adam Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 04 07:24 PM