Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much current to subpanel

Hi,

I have a subpanel that is in a very convenient space and it is so very
temping to put a lot of stuff on it (kitchen /includes 30amp stove +
garage + central A/C + etc), but my electrician told me that it's not
proper to draw more than half the amperage from the main panel. Is that
so and what's the rational for it.

The sub-panel is 18ft away from the main panel and is fed by a 2-2-2-2
wire. I found this table

WG gaug Maxamps for chassis Maximum amps for power transmission
2 181 94

which I guess is saying that the max amps is 94, but I'm hoping that
that's a rating for 100ft and I can go to about 125 over 18ft.

So I guess there are two questions in one:
1. Can I draw 125 amps on the basis that it's more that 1/2 the total
service (200amps)?
2. Can I draw 125 amps on the basis that it's 2-gauge wire?

Thanks

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

I would recommend running your heavy loads off of the main panel, simply to
prevent lights dimming due to the smaller feeder (#2 vs. 4/0)

If this is an existing sub panel, it will have a main breaker in the service
panel, which will limit the current that can be pulled from it, which I
can't determine, not knowing if it's feeder is aluminum or copper

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

The subpanel is fed by 2-2-2-2 copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

The subpanel is fed by 2-2-2-2 copper. Very strange that it would be fed
by 4-#2 conductors. Typically, #2 copper is good for 100 amps, which is
probably why the electrician recommends not exceeding half the service
maximum on it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 7:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the code specific answer to how many amps you can draw
off a main panel, but I can tell you this. In a 4 year old house
here, I just finished helping a friend add a new line for a new
irrigation well. We hooked it to an 80A sub panel that was installed
for the pool eqpt and run off one of the two 150A main panels.
That sub panel had passed local inspection and is more that 50% of the
main.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jul 24, 7:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Your friend has a 300 amp service split between two "main" panels. The pool
sub panel fused at 80 amps is not greater than half the size of the main
panels. The OP has a 200 amp service, a 100 amp sub panel, and seems to be
asking if he can pull 125 amps on it

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

I don't know the code specific answer to how many amps you can draw
off a main panel, but I can tell you this. In a 4 year old house
here, I just finished helping a friend add a new line for a new
irrigation well. We hooked it to an 80A sub panel that was
installed for the pool eqpt and run off one of the two 150A main
panels. That sub panel had passed local inspection and is more that 50%
of
the main.

Your friend has a 300 amp service split between two "main" panels.
The pool sub panel fused at 80 amps is not greater than half the size
of the main panels. The OP has a 200 amp service, a 100 amp sub
panel, and seems to be asking if he can pull 125 amps on it

I live in what was orginally a duplex. Each side was equipped with 200-Amp
service.

By the simple expedient of adding a door to the common wall, I converted the
building to a single-family residence. Bingo! I have 400-Amp service split
between two main panels.

Is it your position I can now put a 175-Amp sub-panel off of one of the main
panels because such would not exceed 50% of the total power delivered to the
building?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
RBM wrote:

[...]

My position is nothing of the kind. As gfretwell pointed out, you can
install a 200 amp sub panel if you like. My recommendation is just to
install your heaviest loads on the main panel, which will have the largest
feeder, and lessen the dimming affect of the heavy loads

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:14:15 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message
On Jul 24, 7:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

+
[...]

The real answer will come from a load calculation. Nothing else
matters. You can install a 200a sub panel on a 200a service if you
want, the code is silent on it.

What are the loads on that current service?

2ga cu is good for 115a so you can put a 125a breaker on it using the
round up rule.

240.4(B) Devices Rated 800 Amperes or Less. The next higher standard
overcurrent device rating (above the ampacity of the conductors being
protected) shall be permitted to be used, provided all of the
following conditions are met:
(1) The conductors being protected are not part of a multioutlet
branch circuit supplying receptacles for cord-and-plug-connected
portable loads.
(2) The ampacity of the conductors does not correspond with the
standard ampere rating of a fuse or a circuit breaker without overload
trip adjustments above its rating (but that shall be permitted to have
other trip or rating adjustments).
(3) The next higher standard rating selected does not exceed 800
amperes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jul 24, 7:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

Unless it's 2/3 Romex. It's not at all clear to me, what he's run to the
sub. I know he said 2222 copper, but that doesn't make sense either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:20:39 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

. ..

wrote in message
On Jul 24, 7:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

RBM wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think they even make #2 RX and if this was SER the EGC would
not be #2.
I was assuming THHN/THWN in pipe.

I hear ya. I've used 2/3 Romex, but where I am, I can't get copper SER, or
SEU for that matter, and of course the ECG would be smaller, which is why I
question what the OP actually has. The OP says, " The sub-panel is 18ft away
from the main panel and is fed by a 2-2-2-2 wire. Clearly, unclear

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:20:39 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[snip]

Unless it's 2/3 Romex. It's not at all clear to me, what he's run to the
sub. I know he said 2222 copper, but that doesn't make sense either.

Wasn't it 2-2-2-2? 4 wires, all 2-gauge copper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam E" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:20:39 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[snip]

Unless it's 2/3 Romex. It's not at all clear to me, what he's run to the
sub. I know he said 2222 copper, but that doesn't make sense either.

Wasn't it 2-2-2-2? 4 wires, all 2-gauge copper?

Here is what he wrote: " The sub-panel is 18ft away
from the main panel and is fed by a 2-2-2-2 wire.

Often, when people say wire, they mean cable. Since he's writing in the
singular, "a 2-2-2-2 wire", my assumption is that he means cable, however,
as gfretwell points out , there isn't any such cable. At this point, only
the OP can clarify

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 6:11*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

The term Sub Panel is not found in the National Electric Code. I
don't know if your electrician is talking about what he/she believes
to be good practice or what they believe is a code issue. The most
accurate way to differentiate a "Sub Panel" from the Service Equipment
for code purposes would be to call it a Feeder Supplied Lighting and
Appliance Panel Board. Several manufacturers make feed through lug
panels that are listed by a testing laboratory as "Suitable for use as
Service Equipment. These panels have a main breaker and a set of main
lugs, usually at opposite ends of the buss bars. They are designed to
pass most of the current that comes through the main breaker into a
feeder that is attached to the feed through lugs. One very common use
for such panels is to provide a main breaker and a few load breakers
on the outside of a home while moving the homes lighting and appliance
panel board to a place within the home were the wire runs to the loads
will be shorter.

As another poster has already opined much depends on the calculated
load. If the calculated load is less than the ampacity of the feeder
conductors then I cannot see were that would be wrong. Please
remember that even though the code allows you to use a 125 ampere
breaker to protect a number two copper feeder it would be dammed
foolishness on your part to load it past it's rated ampacity of 115
amperes if it is #2 THHN in conduit or 95 Amperes if it is run in Non
Metalic Sheathed Cable.
--
Tom Horne

Install Subpanel before existing subpanel? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 16th 07 10:34 PM
60A Subpanel a12vman Home Repair 4 December 11th 05 11:47 AM
subpanel chester Home Repair 13 September 28th 05 07:26 AM
Installed a subpanel! zxcvbob Home Repair 7 January 10th 05 04:48 PM
Electric Subpanel [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 10th 04 10:59 PM