Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion security light recommendation (to replace old low end Heath-Zenith)

One of my low-end Home Depot Heath-Zenith Motion Security Lights just
went bad after about 5 years. The light sensor stopped working though
the motion sensor and lights themselves work fine (see below for my
troubleshooting). In any case, the light sensor circuit failure seems
to be a common problem on the low end Heath-Zenith models based on
customer reviews.

Some have recommended the higher priced Heath Journeyman (about $70
vs. $30) which has a lifetime warranty and presumably better quality
construction though others have also had light sensor problems with
them.

So, any recommendations for a durable/long-lasting/good quality
combined photoelectric and motion sensing light?

I plan to use 2 120W-equivalent CFLs so I need a regular light socket
rather than a halogen version. Also, one that uses a relay rather than
a Triac would probably be better.

NOTE: I diagnosed the problem with the light sensor circuit as
follows. First, I confirmed that the motion circuitry worked since the
red motion light flashed properly in the presence of motion though the
light failed to come on even when the photocell was covered with black
tape. Also, in test mode (which bypasses the photocell and the timer),
the motion sensor worked just fine and the lights turned on -- ruling
out a problem with the motion sensor or the lights themselves. Outside
of test mode, the light would never come on. The net implication is
that something was wrong with the light sensing circuitry.

I then took the unit apart and didn't notice anything grossly wrong
with the circuit board (no burnt components or cracked board), though
a couple of solder joints looked suspicious but they ended up being ok.

The resistance across the photocell, however, was low (about 400 ohms),
independent of the light level. However, the photocell itself was ok
since it worked fine when I desoldered it from the circuit (about 50K
in darkness, 1000 ohms in light). So, it seems like there is some shunt
in the circuit. I couldn't find any gross shorts in the board. I also
removed a capacitor in parallel with the photocell, but it proved ok
too. It seems like the problem must be with the IC that is soldered to
the board since that is the only remaining source of short.

At this point, I gave up and decided to look for a new and better unit...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

I have had very good luck using the standard H-Z model, although I've always
bought them from Graninger, not Depot, in fact I noticed that the Depot
model was sort of striped down as compared to the Grainger unit. In areas
where there is lots of lightning, the units do get blown pretty easily, and
invariably it is the photocell circuit that fails. Grainger now has a newer
model, replacing the standard H-Z unit, which I'm just now starting to use,
and possibly this problem has been corrected

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 3:22*am, blueman wrote:
[...]

You can get replacement sensors at HD for about 17$, 70$ for a better
unit is an option, for 70$ it looks like they figured in a few free
replacements and charge you now for them, 5 years outside is about
what any might do, will you keep the reciept where you can find it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

I tried searching Grainger under multiple keywords and could not find
such unit. Do you have a model number or part number that might help
me find it?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
"RBM" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Unbelievable, I've been buying from Grainger for over 20 years. They have
great products, and the best catalog you could ask for. What went wrong with
their online catalog!!! Absolute morons must have created it, even when I
know the product I'm looking for, I can't find it.
I looked in my paper catalog, here is the floodlight kit:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...x=0&submit.y=0

and here is the motion head only:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...=28&submit.y=5

Both these product come in bronze as well as white, and don't be concerned
by the "lumapro" name, they're H-Z

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
"RBM" writes:

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks - I ended up stopping by a Grainger store today and finding it
easily in the paper catalog which amazed me since it *should* be
easier to search online than paper but who knows...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 11:26*pm, blueman wrote:
"RBM" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...?from=Search&n....

and here is the motion head only:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...?from=Search&n....

Both these product come in bronze as well as white, and don't be concerned
by the "lumapro" name, they're H-Z

Thanks - I ended up stopping by a Grainger store today and finding it
easily in the paper catalog which amazed me since it *should* be
easier to search online than paper but who knows...- Hide quoted text -

I didnt have any trouble at all finding it on-line. Just search on
"motion light" you will see a few selected model then select "view
all" or something like that to see a larger list.

Jimmie