Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please help. drywall dust damage

On Jul 20, 9:49*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
My question is does anyone know how we can get this terrible dust out of
our home. *We have tried our vacuum cleaner and it just cakes up in the
cleaner or blows out of the back.

First, I guess you've taken this up with the contractor and he has
'declined' to clean up the mess ?
Take detailed pictures of all the dust in ductwork, carpet, on floor and
wherever first, before cleaning.
You could consider legal action against the fellow but for a job of this
size, the lawyers would probably "eat" any funds recovered.
"Small claims" court could be a possibility. *If you decide to do it on your
own:

As far as general vacuuming of drywall dust goes, there are SPECIAL filters
made for this purpose. *Using your 'regular' vacuum for drywall dust WILL
ruin your VAC. *If you have a heavy duty Shop-Vac type, get a drywall dust
filter and go over everything again...maybe twice. *If you dont have one,
check with your local Industrial rental place.

You may need a DUCT Doctor type guy to clean your ductwork. *The prior
advice about your furnace/ *A-C *filter and coil is a must.

If you haven't paid the full amount, I'd hold the balance and use it for the
cleaning/filters etc above.

At this point the OP (I assume per her description) has widely
distributed fine dust...all the big piles of it have been cleaned up.
Now she has nusance drywall dust everywhere.

As far as general vacuuming of drywall dust goes, there are SPECIAL filters

made for this purpose. Using your 'regular' vacuum for drywall dust
WILL
ruin your VAC.

How is widely distributed drywall dust susbataintilly diffefent than
normal everyday garden variety dirt? The stuff tracked in or blown
in? And how will using her regular vac for general clean up "ruin
her VAC" if she uses decent filter bags / filters and changes them
as needed?

Most people abuse their upright vacs, run them for a LONG time with
near solid filter bags and they still run for years.

OP-

keep cleaning (vacuum carpet, dry mop & wet mop hard flooring. Wash
fabric items that can be washed.) I demo'd two closets on the first
floor, lathe & plaster. Did a bit (about 2 sheets worth) of drywall
work. We sealed off the rest of the house but some fine drywall dust
found its way upstairs. No HVAC running before, after or during the
work. It took a couple weeks for the house to return to normal.
Lots of rags for dry & moist wipe downs (hardwood floors & furniture).

Next time forget the "family connection" get a referral from a
neighbor or friend who;s opinion / judgment you respect. A solid
referral is more important than anything else.

cheers
Bob

Please help. drywall dust damage Danielle Eastman Home Repair 18 July 23rd 09 06:54 AM
Water Damage to Drywall [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 11th 06 02:14 AM
Drywall Damage chrisb Home Repair 6 October 14th 04 01:57 PM
Unusual drywall question (termite damage) Bill Home Repair 14 January 8th 04 04:42 PM