Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Garage Door opener Jerks !

Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Hi,
Chain drive, belt drive, screw drive? Consult manual, there may be an
adjustment for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
sid wrote:
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Hi,
Chain drive, belt drive, screw drive? Consult manual, there may be an
adjustment for that.

I have seen many openers jerk when
starting. In my new house, with new
doors and openers it works pretty
smoothly, but they are fairly light weight
fiberglass, 1 car doors and are, as I
said, brand new. One thing to check is
that the door is properly weight
balanced by the springs. The opener should
not have to push a lot of door weight.
With the door disconnected from
the opener, you should be able to open
and close it fairly easily. If not,
the springs may need to be adjusted.
Adjusting springs is not for the
faint of heart and can be REAL
dangerous. It's usually a job left to a
professional door person. All hat said,
a wooden, 2 car
width door in the up position can be
somewhat hard to start as there is
quite a bit of mass to get moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 10:42�pm, sid wrote:
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. �Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. �does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

disconnect opener the emergency release.

now try the door by hand check for rough spots hangups. door likely
needs lubrication

this door have long springs? they stretched? be sure they have safety
restraint cables!
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Jul 17, 7:25*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
sid wrote:
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. *Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. *does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Sounds like the spring that ties the two ends of the chain together is
weak or loose. There is no clutch. Unless your track is binding the door
it's entire length. A heave drag will make it bounce in both directions.

Its a LiftMaster Chamberlin Professional, Formula II
It uses a belt with teeth.

The system has been up 5 years and has been jerking since the day it
was intalled.
I questioned the builder on it, but he stated that there was nothing
that he could do.

Its not a question of spring tension or lubrication, its just a fact
that the panels of the door have some natural play between them and
when the opener starts to move, its with an abrupt manner. The whole
door (all the panels) bounce back and forth for about a 2 count,
before it settles down and travels the rest of the distance.

One would think that a designer would design the opener to start out
slowly and then get up to speed. Not just close a contact and engage
the motor like dropping a clutch (I know there is no clutch, just
trying to draw a picture).

Any ideas, Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
[...]

Checked belt tension? Or loose sprocket/pulley on thw ahaft?
Ours is screw drive and there is an adjustment for that.
S\Yet, better consult the manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
[...]

Not to be too much of a wisea$$, but my idea is that the builder is right... there's not much that
can be done!

That opener may jerk a little more than others because the belt drive probably has a little more
stretch (= springiness) than the chains or worm drives used in other openers. So one solution would
be to replace the opener with one with a different type of drive, although every opener I've seen
does what you're talking about to some degree.

From a design perspective, having the motor start slowly would be great but would considerably
increase the cost of the unit. Right now it's just got a dirt-cheap motor and a relay to turn the
motor on and off. A variable-speed motor and control circuit would be much more costly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
[...]

Try adjusting the UP/Down force. Tweak the adjustment until the
jerking motion stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Interesting

Yes. I had a single garage door replaced in the past month or so and
the installer stated to spray the spring and tracks with "silicone
spray" every few months (friction?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Interesting but stupid, I don't see that doing anything at all.

Not too hard to try is it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

It may not be the opener at all.

Read this link, click on the first _2_ links in the article. See if this
may be your problem.

http://www.gpsinformation.org:80/hom...aragedoors.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:22:38 -0400, Hipupchuck
wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Interesting but stupid, I don't see that doing anything at all.

Is there a reason you tacked on to the comment, verses just commenting
on the thread.

Please quote what you respond to and not make it look like LouB said
that.

LouB said "Interesting" not what you said. Just asking. In a third
world country in may look deceptive.

Yes, lube the overhead spring is GOOD. I've got pros that tell me
that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:
[...]

From a design perspective, having the motor start slowly would be great but would considerably
increase the cost of the unit. Right now it's just got a dirt-cheap motor and a relay to turn the
motor on and off. A variable-speed motor and control circuit would be much more costly.

The Genie "Excelerator" model has a variable speed motor and only
costs $10 or $20 more then similar regular motor models. The Opening
speed is twice as fast as the closing speed. And it self adjusts the
first time it runs (or after there's a power outage) by going very
slow and setting it's own stops at each end. It's the typical genie
screw drive, which I've always gotten outstanding service from. It
also seems to start and stop more gently in general then "regular"
openers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks
Interesting but stupid, I don't see that doing anything at all.

Is there a reason you tacked on to the comment, verses just commenting
on the thread.

Please quote what you respond to and not make it look like LouB said
that.

LouB said "Interesting" not what you said. Just asking. In a third
world country in may look deceptive.

Yes, lube the overhead spring is GOOD. I've got pros that tell me
that!

I am an easygoing guy so did not care and it is obvious his IQ is close
to his age.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Our Garage Door opener Jerks when it opens and closes. Its like the
opener does not make an effort to open easily or slowly, its like it
just dropped the clutch. does not matter if its up and closing or
closed and starting to open !

Are there any openers on the market that stated the movement slowly ?

Thanks

Interesting

Yes. I had a single garage door replaced in the past month or so and
the installer stated to spray the spring and tracks with "silicone
spray" every few months (friction?)

In my case there was a lot of friction which caused the spring to jump which
corresponded exactly with the jerkiness of the door opening and closing.

Ron