Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading 230V 50A outlet to 60A

Hi, I currently have a 50A 220v breaker installed in my carport, which I
would like to upgrade to a 60A. The reason for this is the compressor
I'm looking at is 10HP and uses 44 amps. I guess I thought I was putting
in the biggest outlet I could when I put it in a few years ago, but I
was wrong. Anyways, would it be as simple as swapping out the 50 amp
breaker in the main fuse panel and the 50 amp in the subpanel outside
for 60 amp breakers? Would I have to change the wire also? I believe I
have 6/3G wire right now.

Thanks,
Michael

href="http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/carport.JPG"http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/carport.JPG/a
href="http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/overview.JPG"http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/overview.JPG/a
href="http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/breakerbox.JPG"http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/breakerbox.JPG/a
href="http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/50ampbox.JPG"http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/50ampbox.JPG/a
href="http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/downstairs.JPG"http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/downstairs.JPG/a

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message

[...]

If it's #6 copper, you can fuse it at 60 amps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 9:08*pm, Michael Shaffer wrote:
[...]

I'd try the 50 amp breaker, & see if it will carry the load. One chart
I found, rated 6-3 at 55 amps. If that is correct, with a 60 amp
breaker, the wire would be rated lower than the breaker, which is a no
no.
As to the socket, from a common sense perspective (if not code); Say
you move & leave it that way, the next resident would have good reason
to suspect it was a 60 amp circuit.
http://www.americord.com/ampere-rating/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
[...]

Because there is no standard 55 amp breaker, the NEC allows you to round up
to the nearest standard size breaker 60 amp