Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading Electrical Outlet

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

That's what/how I'd interpret it, yes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2008 9:56 AM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

Dunno, IANAI*.

But couldn't it also mean an upgrade to a GFCI, AFCI or similar from an
unprotected outlet? (Just trying to cover all bases.)

* I Am Not An Inspector

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/28/2008 9:56 AM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

Dunno, IANAI*.

But couldn't it also mean an upgrade to a GFCI, AFCI or similar from an
unprotected outlet? (Just trying to cover all bases.)

For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it means.
The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the inspector;
opinions rendered here, no matter how technically accurate, are not relevant
to determining local interpretations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it
means.
The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the inspector;
opinions rendered here, no matter how technically accurate, are not
relevant
to determining local interpretations.

I've clarified with him what he meant, and my interpretation is correct.

He also said that "all metal boxes must be bonded". What the heck does that
mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:56:50 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

If you are replacing receptacles, I understand that to mean
"upgrading" receptacles. This is the first time I heard of requiring
a permit for adding/upgrading an outlet, maybe you have too much local
government?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2008 1:54 PM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it
means.
The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the inspector;
opinions rendered here, no matter how technically accurate, are not
relevant
to determining local interpretations.

I've clarified with him what he meant, and my interpretation is correct.

He also said that "all metal boxes must be bonded". What the heck does that
mean?

Bonded = electrician talk for "electrically tied to the ground conductor".

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/28/2008 1:35 PM Doug Miller spake thus:
For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it
means. The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the
inspector; opinions rendered here, no matter how technically
accurate, are not relevant to determining local interpretations.

Best answer yet.

Yep. In many locales, the inspector has no code background, he
got the job as a political plum. So do what he says. And always
ask, it makes the little weasels feel good to spout their 'technical
expertise.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

That's what/how I'd interpret it, yes...

--

It's a joy to live in a place with no building code, no permits and no
electrical inspections. The local government is starting to conclude
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

If you are replacing receptacles, I understand that to mean
"upgrading" receptacles. This is the first time I heard of requiring
a permit for adding/upgrading an outlet, maybe you have too much local
government?

I'd regard it as maintenance, not an upgrade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We can read his mind? I think not. Pick up the phone, and call the guy. What
kind of goof would ask internet strangers to make a ruling on what a local
guy (a man of authority) meant?

It means add hotdogs and sausages to the box, and then fill the voids with
mustard. And don't take no from the local code guy if he doesn't like
mustard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's ALL it's about.

"Boden" wrote in message

. Public safety is never mentioned...only a that it could be a sizable
income stream.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more
securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

If you are replacing receptacles, I understand that to mean
"upgrading" receptacles. This is the first time I heard of requiring
a permit for adding/upgrading an outlet, maybe you have too much local
government?

Well perhaps we have, but in NYC, replacing a switch or an outlet legally
requires the use of a licensed electrician. Of course that doesn't stop
every hardware store and home center from carrying outlets and switches and
rolls of BX cable.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more
securely (tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the
shoddy way the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

It doesn't matter how you or I interpret it; its all about how he interprets
it.
Technically you need permit if you change anything. Move an outlet, change
it to a GFCI... anything other than making it identical to how it was
before.
In practice permits are usually needed for extensive additions, but your
city code guy might feel otherwise.
The rule of thumb one contractor gave me was that if someone looking at your
house and the permits on file could tell you were missing a permit, then you
are missing a permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

BobJ- Hide quoted text -

Of course that doesn't stop every hardware store and home center
from carrying outlets and switches and rolls of BX cable.

The buying and selling of these items is not illegal, it's the
installation by non-licensed people that is.

Wires don't electrocute people, people electrocute people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"jack" wrote:

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more
securely (tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the
shoddy way the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

It doesn't matter how you or I interpret it; its all about how he interprets
it.
Technically you need permit if you change anything. Move an outlet, change
it to a GFCI... anything other than making it identical to how it was
before.

Let's see, would that include re-orienting the ground pin?

In practice permits are usually needed for extensive additions, but your
city code guy might feel otherwise.
The rule of thumb one contractor gave me was that if someone looking at your
house and the permits on file could tell you were missing a permit, then you
are missing a permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"jack" wrote:

[...]

It does if your building department says it does.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
We can read his mind? I think not. Pick up the phone, and call the guy.
What
kind of goof would ask internet strangers to make a ruling on what a local
guy (a man of authority) meant?

It means add hotdogs and sausages to the box, and then fill the voids with
mustard. And don't take no from the local code guy if he doesn't like
mustard.

Are all Mormons assholes like you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
We can read his mind? I think not. Pick up the phone, and call the guy.
What
kind of goof would ask internet strangers to make a ruling on what a local
guy (a man of authority) meant?

It means add hotdogs and sausages to the box, and then fill the voids with
mustard. And don't take no from the local code guy if he doesn't like
mustard.

Are all Mormons assholes like you?

Chris aint no mormon. He's a baptist. He just plays a mormon on usenet.