Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Upgrading Electrical Outlet

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/28/2008 9:56 AM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

Dunno, IANAI*.

But couldn't it also mean an upgrade to a GFCI, AFCI or similar from an
unprotected outlet? (Just trying to cover all bases.)

For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it means.
The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the inspector;
opinions rendered here, no matter how technically accurate, are not relevant
to determining local interpretations.