Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading Electrical Outlet

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:56:50 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a
permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".

My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing
metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely
(tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way
the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).

I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?

Am I interpreting this right?

If you are replacing receptacles, I understand that to mean
"upgrading" receptacles. This is the first time I heard of requiring
a permit for adding/upgrading an outlet, maybe you have too much local
government?