Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Difference between (DAP) Water Putty and Setting Joint Compound?

The DAP package says: "A premium quality all-purpose patching product
for the repair of cracks, holes and defects on interior wood
surfaces."

The water putty comes as a dry powder that looks just like the gypsum
in setting joint compound. After adding water, it also looks and
works just like 20 minute setting joint. The only difference that I
have noticed is that it seems to set harder and be more difficult to
sand.

So, what is the (official) difference in formulations and properties
of "Water Putty" (whether DAP or Durham) vs. standard setting joint
compound?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
The DAP package says: "A premium quality all-purpose patching product
for the repair of cracks, holes and defects on interior wood
surfaces."

The water putty comes as a dry powder that looks just like the gypsum
in setting joint compound. After adding water, it also looks and
works just like 20 minute setting joint. The only difference that I
have noticed is that it seems to set harder and be more difficult to
sand.

So, what is the (official) difference in formulations and properties
of "Water Putty" (whether DAP or Durham) vs. standard setting joint
compound?

what does the package say? if not there, the msds will have the differences.
what does it say?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:02:25 -0400, blueman wrote:

The DAP package says: "A premium quality all-purpose patching product
for the repair of cracks, holes and defects on interior wood
surfaces."

The water putty comes as a dry powder that looks just like the gypsum
in setting joint compound. After adding water, it also looks and
works just like 20 minute setting joint. The only difference that I
have noticed is that it seems to set harder and be more difficult to
sand.

So, what is the (official) difference in formulations and properties
of "Water Putty" (whether DAP or Durham) vs. standard setting joint
compound?

All I know is that with a "20 minute setting" product I have to work
really, really fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 5:02*pm, blueman wrote:
The DAP package says: "A premium quality all-purpose patching product
for the repair of cracks, holes and defects on interior wood
surfaces."

I can't answer your question but I used to use DAP lightweight spackle
to fix cracks, holes and defects on interior wood surfaces to be
painted.

Dries fasts, sand easy.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

"blueman" wrote in message
The DAP package says: "A premium quality all-purpose patching product
for the repair of cracks, holes and defects on interior wood
surfaces."

The water putty comes as a dry powder that looks just like the gypsum
in setting joint compound. After adding water, it also looks and
works just like 20 minute setting joint. The only difference that I
have noticed is that it seems to set harder and be more difficult to
sand.

So, what is the (official) difference in formulations and properties
of "Water Putty" (whether DAP or Durham) vs. standard setting joint
compound?

what does the package say? if not there, the msds will have the
differences. what does it say?

Durabond contains...
Plaster of Paris (CaSO4.½H2O) 60

Limestone 20

Or Dolomite

Mica 10

Vinyl Alcohol Polymer 5

Attapulgite 5

Crystalline Silica 5

May Contain:

Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Polymer

EASYSAND CONTAINS.....

Plaster of Paris (CaSO4.½H2O) 60-70

Limestone 10

Or Dolomite

Expanded Perlite 10

Mica 10

Vinyl Alcohol Polymer 5

Attapulgite 5

Crystalline Silica

Water Putty contains...

Plaster of paris

Calcium carbonate

Silica, crystalline

Bottom line , Joint compound is for sheetrock...The Water Putty is for
wood...It's BEST to use the correct product for the job...ESPECIALLY if you
are using it for a customer...If **** goes WRONG the manufacturer won't
stand behind you and YOU will eat it , so to speak...LOL...If at home and
you want to experiment...Go for it...Let us know how it works
out...LOL...Hope I helped....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" writes:

"charlie" wrote in message

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Well, most of my patching is for old lath & plaster walls around
deep/wide cracks, holes or near the old wood corner bead.

I find that the harder setting versions work well in this case (even
though they are harder to sand when dry) since they tend to bond
together the weak plaster better than a sheetrock joint compound
does. In particular, I am now using it to patch around the wood corner
bead which is obviously a high stress/high traffic area and needs to
be shaped to conform to the rounded edge.

So far, the Wood putty does appear to be signficantly harder than
setting joint compound and works well.

Since it is more difficult to sand when dry than joint compound, one
trick I use is to come back after 5-10 minutes or so when it is almost
hard and run a sponge or wet sanding pad over it. This allows me to
gently "wet sand" it just before it totally hardens and leaves me with
a rock hard, smooth surface when dry.

Of course, if I am just taping a superficial crack or veneering an
area, I use the setting joint compound (even over plaster lath).

By the way regarding "experimenting", on an old house (1/2 of ours is
from the 1860's the other half is from the late 1700's), I find that
experimenting is typically necessary and even fun!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
"benick" writes:

"charlie" wrote in message

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Sheetrock Brand Durabond Setting Type Joint Compound will do the same..It is
VERY hard and is unsandable..It can even be used to patch CONCRETE inside
above grade and can be used as a floor leveler as well...I have used it many
times doing the EXACT same thing as you described..In fact I bought 7 bags
for a job I'm starting tommorow in an 1800's era house...It will bond to
just about anything and is very durable , hence the name Durabond...LOL...It
is about 11 bucks for a 25lb. bag at Home depot and comes in a variety of
setting times..20,45,90,210..Cheaper than Putty I bet and it's made for the
job you're doing...I usually use the Durabond sorta like a basecoat to fill
holes and patch cracks then I coat the walls with Sheetrock Brand Easysand
Setting Type Joint Compound , sand , scrape it somewhat smooth then skimcoat
it once or twice with regular joint compound then sand and prime...Check out
the USG website....Good Luck with your project....

No joint compound here Aaron Fude Home Repair 14 September 17th 08 06:57 PM
water joint compound? Richb Home Repair 1 August 16th 08 12:29 AM
plumbers putty for leaky threaded joint? [email protected] Home Repair 16 January 8th 08 06:37 AM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Setting angles of a compound using laser pointers Jacek Zagaja Metalworking 1 December 3rd 04 04:14 AM