Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No joint compound here

Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Andy writes:
"Joint compound" isn't the material you are talking about... You are
talking
about "pipe thread dope"..

Dope is used ONLY where the threads are the point of sealing. It
fills in the
voids and makes the thread to thread joint airtight...

Gas lines are pressure fitted by smooth mating surfaces .
No thread dope is used because the threads
are not the place where the seal occurs.

Washer water hoses are gasket fitted. A rubber washer does the
sealing
with a pressure fit... No thread dope is ever used...

Using thread dope in either of these applications will probably
DECREASE
the ability to seal, because they are a foreign substance which coats
surfaces that should NOT be coated with anything...

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default -google_groups- No joint compound here

Andy writes:
"Joint compound" isn't the material you are talking about... You are
talking
about "pipe thread dope"..

Dope is used ONLY where the threads are the point of sealing. It
fills in the
voids and makes the thread to thread joint airtight...

Gas lines are pressure fitted by smooth mating surfaces .
No thread dope is used because the threads
are not the place where the seal occurs.

Washer water hoses are gasket fitted. A rubber washer does the
sealing
with a pressure fit... No thread dope is ever used...

Using thread dope in either of these applications will probably
DECREASE
the ability to seal, because they are a foreign substance which coats
surfaces that should NOT be coated with anything...

Andy

Are you sure?...

I happened to be watching one of those Saturday morning shows that are
heavily sponsored by home depot and they carefully applied dope to all
threaded surfaces on a gas line appliance connection including the nut
on the supply line. So that must be the right way...
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Andy writes:
[...]

Flare fittings don't get dope, tapered pipe fittings do.

Do you ask the people at HD for advice how to fix stuff?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope. The gas line is a flare fitting and the water hoses have washers.
NOW , having said that, a little antisieze or pipe dope may prevent those
threads from sticking and rusting together. But for a seal, it's not
necessary.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

*"Joint compound" isn't the material you are talking about... You are
talking
about "pipe *thread dope"..

* Dope is used ONLY where the threads are the point of sealing. It
fills in the
voids and makes the thread to thread joint airtight...

* Gas lines are pressure fitted by smooth mating surfaces .
*No thread dope is used because the threads
are not the place where the seal occurs.

* Washer water hoses are gasket fitted. *A rubber washer does the
sealing
with a pressure fit... No thread dope is ever used...

* Using thread dope in either of these applications will probably
DECREASE
the ability to seal, because they are a foreign substance which coats
surfaces that should NOT be coated with anything...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * Andy

Andy's description of the different sealing mechanisms is 100%
correct.

Pipe dope / teflon tape are needed only when the thread to thread
contact are the actual sealing mechanism..

Connections where rubber washers, flares or compression ferrules do
the sealing, means no dope or tape.

But I've seen a lot of plumbers use dope on flares & compression
ferrules......because using dope makes the initial fit up less likely
to leak.

So despite the fact that dope should not be used....it often is.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 15 Sep 2008 12:13:54p, Aaron Fude told us...

Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I would use pipe thread dope on the gas line and teflon tape on the water
lines.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 4hrs 6mins
You know what I always say...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 15 Sep 2008 12:13:54p, Aaron Fude told us...

Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I would use pipe thread dope on the gas line and teflon tape on the water
lines.

I can't address the gas lines, but why tape the feed lines? They are
just garden hose fittings, including the rubber washer. I've never seen
one leak if undamaged. The hose bursts, or the packing on the wall valve
starts dribbling, but the screw-on, never.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 15 Sep 2008 08:37:20p, aemeijers told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

I know it's not standard practice, but I use it and feel that it gives an
extra measure of protection. It isn't essential.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
8wks 3hrs 19mins
There's no point in getting angry, but
there is a stupid malignity to all
this that does try one's patience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 12:13*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Andy is right, Wayne is wrong. Sorry Wayne. Putting "dope" or tape
where it is not needed will cause more problems then it solves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
George wrote:

Andy writes:
[...]

It was a cynical response...
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 16, 6:16*am, George wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
George wrote:

Andy writes:
[...]

It was a cynical response...- Hide quoted text -

You only need dope or tape on tapered pipe and make sure it is nat gas
compatable as reg teflon is not get the yellow stuff . Also check for
leaks before you walk away

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 15 Sep 2008 10:23:01p, told us...

On Sep 15, 12:13*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Andy is right, Wayne is wrong. Sorry Wayne. Putting "dope" or tape
where it is not needed will cause more problems then it solves.

It depends on the fittings.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Citizenship Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
7wks 5dys 18hrs 44mins
'Do What Thou Wilt' shall be the whole
of the Law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Compression fittings do not need thread compound.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

No compration fittings on gas lines unless some quack did job
Tony

How long does joint compound last Eigenvector Home Repair 4 April 6th 07 01:34 AM
Joint compound over paint? MattMika Home Repair 2 May 24th 06 01:09 AM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Can I put joint compound on wallpaper? Al Kondo Home Repair 1 May 15th 05 05:01 PM
Pipe joint compound jim rozen Metalworking 20 November 25th 03 06:34 PM