Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Hex hammer bits?

I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

I can take a picture if that would clarify anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

There are numerous industrial grade power tools that use hex shank tooling.
I have an old (maybe 1940s originally, possibly an earlier design) Black &
Decker electric torque driver with adjustable torque limit, that's intended
to drive hardware with sockets or other driver accessories (the hex shank
adapts to 1/2" drive sockets).

Commercial grade, electric heavy duty hammer drills and industrial air
hammers use hex shank chisels. This grade of power tools isn't intended to
be marketed to homeowner/handy DIY types, they're designed for frequent
heavy duty use.

I saw a Chinese set of hex shank chisels at a TSC store recently, so I
wouldn't be surprised if HF and the other dealers are peddling hex drive
look-alike power tools.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ignoramus18183" wrote in message
I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

I can take a picture if that would clarify anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:56:04 -0500, Ignoramus18183
wrote:

I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

I can take a picture if that would clarify anything.

Those sound like standard bits for most of the smaller
pneumatic hammers. Size usually given is ".401 dia". Like
these at Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=325-1161

Can't say for sure, always had the impression that these
have a hex shank (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus18183" wrote in message
I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

I can take a picture if that would clarify anything.

*I have an old rotary hammer with the Hitachi name on it that uses hex bits.
I have seen this exact same rotary hammer for sale on ebay several times
under different brands. I contacted Hitachi about it once and they had no
idea what I was talking about. Somehow I found instructions for it online
somewhere. Send me some pictures.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

My oldish AEG rotary hammer uses tools with a hex shank. An eccentric
pin in the hammer's socket loosely engages a shallow groove above the
tool's hex to keep it from falling out.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill
or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex
shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by
memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any
idea what they are for?

I would have said they were 3/4 from memory, but bosch's site says
they are "1 1/8?"- fits this hammer- and others, I imagine.
http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_an...rs/11335k.html

Picture's worth a thousand words- and a ruler wouldn't hurt,
either.g

Jim