Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Phone Filters

We were advised that because our DSL is coming thru a separate data
line, there would be no need to install phone filters on the
individual phones. However, even when everything was working OK
(which is not the case at present) there has been static. Sometimes
it was mild but other times it was terrible. Whenever, I pulled the
DSL wall insert from the jack, the static cleared.

Where do I buy filters and are they difficult to install?

I would research this on the internet but right now the DSL is down
and I'm lucky to be able to access Usenet with a very slow dialup
backup connection. Thanks
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 7:51*pm, "iwdplz" wrote:
Similar thing happened to my friend. *I looked behind her wall plate and the
phone installer left a terminal nut loose inside! *It was making an
intermittent connection, causing the static. *So be sure to check for any
loose connections. *I've never had static caused by a DSL filter itself..

Your dsl provider should provide a filter. If you can put it on the
telephone line where it enters your house, on your side of the network
protection/demarcation point, you can split the data and phone lines
right there, and then use the old telehone distribution lines thruout
the house, and route the DSL tap whrever you want it. THe DSLfilter/
lack of filter connection by itself cannot add static, but if the data
line is not good, it can add static to the main line. You really have
to start trouble-shooting at the house side of the network interface
point and work from there.

Having worked for AT+T Bell Labs for 44 years, I have trouble-shot
lots of interesting problems, and step-by-step from the access point
is the best way to go.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 10:58�pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 14, 7:51�pm, "iwdplz" wrote:

[...]

Try plugging a regular phone into the NID, to elminate interior home
wiring troubles
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

We were advised that because our DSL is coming thru a separate data
line, there would be no need to install phone filters on the
individual phones. However, even when everything was working OK
(which is not the case at present) there has been static. Sometimes
it was mild but other times it was terrible. Whenever, I pulled the
DSL wall insert from the jack, the static cleared.

I had a normally operating phone system first, then the ISP guys came in to
fine tune the system as I was getting some drop off with the computer..
They fiddled around a while and everything works fine now. I asked if they
put in a "filter" and they said no.

BTW, our ISP company provides phone support AND FREE home visits if that's
what it takes.
IMO (and theirs) its their responsibility to make sure you get satisfactiry
service/connection

Give yours a call and ask if they do the same..if so, let their guys worry
about getting it fixed properly.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Murriel) wrote:

We were advised that because our DSL is coming thru a separate data
line, there would be no need to install phone filters on the
individual phones. However, even when everything was working OK
(which is not the case at present) there has been static. Sometimes
it was mild but other times it was terrible. Whenever, I pulled the
DSL wall insert from the jack, the static cleared.

Your DSL service is either *ON* your voice line or it is being delivered
on a SECOND line (separate pairs), whether there is dial tone on that
second line or not.

If the latter is the case (a TRUE, second "line"/pair), you have
crosstalk between the pairs. This is due primarily to non-standard wire
with insufficient twist in the pair or, worse, no twist at all. This is
virtually always in the wiring in the home or business. There is NO fix
for this with the possible exception (in YOUR case) of adding a filter
at each phone or phone device.

In the 6-7 years following divestiture (break-up of the Bell System),
many, MANY homes were wired with improperly manufactured telephone cable
in their walls. This fact did not become apparent until the customer
added a second, ostensibly separate service for a teenager or home
business. It was at this point that the crosstalk became apparent and
the customer could literally hear the conversation taking place on the
other line. Then came the dial-up modem.

Many subscribers added a second line only when they could no longer
stand sharing a single line with a modem addict. The squealing of the
modem was often clearly heard on the adjoining pair.

Your DSL is probably causing similar problems. Filtering the DSL pair
AT THE DEMARC, then sending it to the modem on a DEDICATED, separate
pair (Cat 5e is good) provides the best service and eliminates the need
to filter every phone or device.

Where do I buy filters

Call your telephone company and ask for some. They should be mailed to
you at little or no cost. Otherwise they can be purchased at Radio
Shaft(sic), Home Depot, Lowes or perhaps even Walmart.

are they difficult to install?

No. They simply plug into the telephone wall outlet and the phone or
device is then plugged-into the output jack of the filter.

Placing a single filter "ahead" of everything as described above
requires more work and technical expertise than simply filtering
everything individually.

FWIW: Do NOT filter the DSL modem. Yeah, yeah, I know. You're not a
dummy but you'd be AMAZED at the number of repair calls I made and
removed a filter from the DSL modem. Good luck!
--

JR