Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using water drianed from softener in garden

We have a problem with our water softener not drawing brine during
the regeneration cycle because the drain it is connected to is slow
draining. The softener is twelve years old. This problem has just
started in the last few months. A few months ago, my brother got it
to work again by running a manual 25 foot snake down the drain. This
time he used a rented 75 foot power snake but did not solve the
problem.

We are wondering if we can run the drain into the garden. Would
this water have too much salt for the plants? Thank you in advance
for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
We have a problem with our water softener not drawing brine during
the regeneration cycle because the drain it is connected to is slow
draining. The softener is twelve years old. This problem has just
started in the last few months. A few months ago, my brother got it
to work again by running a manual 25 foot snake down the drain. This
time he used a rented 75 foot power snake but did not solve the
problem.

We are wondering if we can run the drain into the garden. Would
this water have too much salt for the plants? Thank you in advance
for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Hi,
Taste the water first!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt if it would be a good idea to drain it to your lawn or
garden unless you live on the salt flats. It will likely kill or
damage whatever plants are around it.

Best bet is IMO fixing the problem and it may well be as
suggested a softener problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have very hard well water, it tastes great, and while I have to use
a little more soap and laundry detergent, I dont want a softner. *The
few bucks extra I spent on soap, is far less than all that salt. *Ya,
I do have to clean that rust from the toilet bowl, but thats a small
price to pay.

LM

I have to disagree with you. I have two places, one has a softener
and the other one doesn't. The water pretty much sucks in both
places. Sure I can drink the water and pretend that I like it, but I
don't, I either drink bottled water or filtered water. When I take a
shower sure I get clean, but I much rather shower at the place with
the softener, I feel so much better(cleaner) than taking a shower
with rusty water. As far as scrubbing the toilet, that doesn't matter
much to me( that's woman's work ) No one sold me on a softener, it
was in the house when I bought it, but given the choice I'll take a
water softener with hard water any day of the week and spend a few
extra dollars a month for salt rather than have to live with crappy
water and pretend that I like it.