Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drain fly problem

Over the last couple of years, I have had drain flies I can't get rid of.
Last year, I discovered a leak under the sink that had evidently been active
for quite some time, but once fixed over time they nearly disappeared.

This year, they have returned with a vengeance. I see them in nearly every
room of the house, especially near the transoms, and they are all around the
fluorescent light above the kitchen sink. I can't figure out the source. I
read that water is the cause yet no more leaks under the sink so what could
they be attracted to? And how do I get rid of them?

Thanks,
Earlee

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd try one of those bacterial drain cleaners that you can get in any
hardware store. The bacteria will eat the blank gunk in the drain which is
the food source for these flies. The real solution is to find their source.
Is water dripping behind a wall? Water condensation coming from the air
conditioner? Get rid of organic matter near the source..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 7:27*am, "Earlee Walston" wrote:
Over the last couple of years, I have had drain flies I can't get rid of.
Last year, I discovered a leak under the sink that had evidently been active
for quite some time, but once fixed over time they nearly disappeared.

This year, they have returned with a vengeance. *I see them in nearly every
room of the house, especially near the transoms, and they are all around the
fluorescent light above the kitchen sink. *I can't figure out the source. *I
read that water is the cause yet no more leaks under the sink so what could
they be attracted to? *And how do I get rid of them?

Thanks,
Earlee

Little black flies about 1 /32" - 1/8", they are mud maggots and also
live in dirt. Do you have house plants, toilet wax rings can go bad,
if toilet isnt caulked to floor they live there also. Bleach poured
down all drains and sprayed at where toilet touches floor will kill
them and maybe also bug spray. Do tubs and sinks have the overfill
drain holes, get bleach in there also. Somewhere something is wet
where molds grow, my problem was toilet bottom not sealed to floor and
bad wax ring, and I have found them in plants I bring in in winter and
outside dirt I pot plants with. But you say transom, whats that,
something is wet to allow them to thrive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

iwdplz wrote:
I'd try one of those bacterial drain cleaners that you can get in any
hardware store. The bacteria will eat the blank gunk in the drain which
is the food source for these flies. The real solution is to find their
source. Is water dripping behind a wall? Water condensation coming from
the air conditioner? Get rid of organic matter near the source..

When I have clouds of tiny insects inside (fruitflies, or those little
orange spherical bugs, or whatever), I find the best way to clear them
is with a shop vac, which I immediately empty outside in case any
survived the carnival ride. Plus eliminate their food source, of course.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

iwdplz wrote:
I'd try one of those bacterial drain cleaners that you can get in any
hardware store. The bacteria will eat the blank gunk in the drain
which is the food source for these flies. The real solution is to
find their source. Is water dripping behind a wall? Water
condensation coming from the air conditioner? Get rid of organic
matter near the source..

When I have clouds of tiny insects inside (fruitflies, or those little
orange spherical bugs, or whatever), I find the best way to clear them
is with a shop vac, which I immediately empty outside in case any
survived the carnival ride.

And/or spray a little bug spray in the hose while it's running.

Plus eliminate their food source, of
course.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rather turn off the shop vac. Cover the end of the hose
maybe with a plastic bag and rubber band. Pop the hose off
the hole on top of the vac, spray into the hole, and put
hose back.

The way those things move air, spraying into a running shop
vac just blows bug spray out the exhaust.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
When I have clouds of tiny insects inside (fruitflies, or
those little
orange spherical bugs, or whatever), I find the best way
to clear them
is with a shop vac, which I immediately empty outside in
case any
survived the carnival ride.

And/or spray a little bug spray in the hose while it's
running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Red Green" wrote in message

When I have clouds of tiny insects inside (fruitflies, or
those little
orange spherical bugs, or whatever), I find the best way
to clear them
is with a shop vac, which I immediately empty outside in
case any
survived the carnival ride.

And/or spray a little bug spray in the hose while it's
running.

Had the odd one near our single bathroom sink; especially the overflow
aperture in the front edge of the sink.
With sink full of water used the plunger to swish any gunk out of the
overflow.
Then occasional cup of highly dilute bleach avoids further problems.
And yes occasional one around house plants and once or twice near a
banana that was getting 'fruity'.
BTW there may be condensate from the fridge (especailly in warm humid
weather) in either a pan or container behind fridge! Check that as
well?

Dishwasher drain problem Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 1 December 10th 08 01:11 AM
Hot water problem after drain down raesene UK diy 6 December 29th 06 02:58 PM
GE Dishwasher Drain Problem [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 1st 06 08:30 PM
AC - drain problem. DG Home Repair 2 August 30th 05 07:37 PM
Septic system problem-pump out or drain field problem? Arthur Davis Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 03:17 AM