Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shed project: gable framing

On top of my shed goes a simple gable roof. I plan to call around to see
about prefab roof trusses, not that I expect anyone to stock them in shed
sizes, and I don't expect a custom run of 9+2 units to be cost-effective. I
already asked Tuff-Shed; they don't sell components, just sheds. I'll
probably just build my own, since I've done that before and had very good
results.

My question today, though, is how to extend the roofline to form an overhang
beyond the end gable truss. I'm trying to remember how it was done back
when I was in construction (I wasn't a framer). I think they used a sort of
flying rafter arrangement, basically rake boards nailed to the overhung roof
sheathing, then nailed to the ends of the fascia boards at the bottom. Am I
remembering wrong? I can't quite visualize how such a thing could carry its
roof load without sagging.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.askthebuilder.com/578_Roo...g_Basics.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's a "gable ladder" or "barge". The gable truss is 3 1/2" shorter
than the other trusses so you can install a gable ladder on top. Here's
a site with a pictu

http://www.construction-resource.com...read.php?t=417

The ladder sits on top of the gable truss and is face-nailed to the
second (full-height) truss. The rungs run all the way from the second
truss to the fascia. Blocking fills the gaps on top of the gable truss.

The picture is a little odd. My gable trusses have a tail.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 02:09:05 +0000 (UTC), in alt.home.repair, "SteveBell"
wrote:

It's a "gable ladder" or "barge". The gable truss is 3 1/2" shorter
than the other trusses so you can install a gable ladder on top. Here's
a site with a pictu

http://www.construction-resource.com...read.php?t=417

Ah, I see it now...that's very helpful, thank you! I'd found a couple other
photos of that (very few, considering) but didn't understand what I was
looking at.

The ladder sits on top of the gable truss and is face-nailed to the
second (full-height) truss. The rungs run all the way from the second
truss to the fascia. Blocking fills the gaps on top of the gable truss.

The picture is a little odd. My gable trusses have a tail.

Yes, odd, but I can see the reason for it. Looks like it just needs another
piece of blocking where the tail would go, secured to the bottom lookout and
to the subfascia (with hangers maybe?). I think that would be adequate to
carry the weight of that little piece of roof.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
your email, but remove this line before sending, otherwise my filters
will delete your email with all due prejudice. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

It's a "gable ladder" or "barge". The gable truss is 3 1/2" shorter
than the other trusses so you can install a gable ladder on top. Here's
a site with a pictu

http://www.construction-resource.com...read.php?t=417

The ladder sits on top of the gable truss and is face-nailed to the
second (full-height) truss. The rungs run all the way from the second
truss to the fascia. Blocking fills the gaps on top of the gable truss.

Since you are stick framing it, you could do it the classic way. The
rungs of the "ladders" are called "lookout rafters" and are notched into
the gable rafters instead of sitting on top. The rafter on the far end
is called the "fly rafter".

Cut a 3 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" deep notch in the gable rafter everywhere
you want a lookout, and then place them flat. Face nail them to the
second rafter the same is the truss method.

--
Dennis

Shed project: slab reinforcement [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 18th 09 08:37 PM
Framing shed walls, 2 nails per stud? RedDwarf Home Repair 10 November 23rd 08 04:14 AM
Gable Fan? CFster Home Repair 6 January 29th 06 07:20 PM
Gable Fan? CFster Home Ownership 1 January 29th 06 03:45 PM
Framing for Shed Budman Home Repair 4 October 27th 05 10:37 PM