Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] usenet-659f31de7f953aeb@asgard.slcc.edu is offline

Default Shed project: gable framing

On top of my shed goes a simple gable roof. I plan to call around to see
about prefab roof trusses, not that I expect anyone to stock them in shed
sizes, and I don't expect a custom run of 9+2 units to be cost-effective. I
already asked Tuff-Shed; they don't sell components, just sheds. I'll
probably just build my own, since I've done that before and had very good
results.

My question today, though, is how to extend the roofline to form an overhang
beyond the end gable truss. I'm trying to remember how it was done back
when I was in construction (I wasn't a framer). I think they used a sort of
flying rafter arrangement, basically rake boards nailed to the overhung roof
sheathing, then nailed to the ends of the fascia boards at the bottom. Am I
remembering wrong? I can't quite visualize how such a thing could carry its
roof load without sagging.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in