Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Shed project: gable framing

On top of my shed goes a simple gable roof. I plan to call around to
see about prefab roof trusses, not that I expect anyone to stock them
in shed sizes, and I don't expect a custom run of 9+2 units to be
cost-effective. I already asked Tuff-Shed; they don't sell
components, just sheds. I'll probably just build my own, since I've
done that before and had very good results.

My question today, though, is how to extend the roofline to form an
overhang beyond the end gable truss. I'm trying to remember how it
was done back when I was in construction (I wasn't a framer). I
think they used a sort of flying rafter arrangement, basically rake
boards nailed to the overhung roof sheathing, then nailed to the ends
of the fascia boards at the bottom. Am I remembering wrong? I can't
quite visualize how such a thing could carry its roof load without
sagging.

It's a "gable ladder" or "barge". The gable truss is 3 1/2" shorter
than the other trusses so you can install a gable ladder on top. Here's
a site with a pictu

http://www.construction-resource.com...read.php?t=417

The ladder sits on top of the gable truss and is face-nailed to the
second (full-height) truss. The rungs run all the way from the second
truss to the fascia. Blocking fills the gaps on top of the gable truss.

The picture is a little odd. My gable trusses have a tail.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement