Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When not to use synthetic grease on o-rings?

I have a tube of Tri-Flow synthetic grease and I am tempted to use it on all
o-rings and gaskets that will be exposed to water. But I'd like to know, is
there ever a kind of water seal that I should not use it on? For example my
underwater pool light gasket does not specify any grease. But what if I put
some on, will it help make it last longer before it starts to leak?

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Syn...synthetic.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"iwdplz" wrote in message
I have a tube of Tri-Flow synthetic grease and I am tempted to use it on
all o-rings and gaskets that will be exposed to water. But I'd like to
know, is there ever a kind of water seal that I should not use it on? For
example my underwater pool light gasket does not specify any grease. But
what if I put some on, will it help make it last longer before it starts to
leak?

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Syn...synthetic.html

They state: This pure synthetic grease is fully compatible with most
rubbers and plastics.

Key word is "most". I'd guess it will not bother the O ring but I cannot
guarantee that either. It may not make it last any longer, but may help it
come apart easier later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does grease help to fill the microscopic gaps that might occur when the
o-ring is pressed against the metal, thus reducing the chance that water can
seep through these irregular areas, or is the purpose of grease on o-rings
exclusively to stop them from sticking over time?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:22:24 -0700, "iwdplz" wrote:

I have a tube of Tri-Flow synthetic grease and I am tempted to use it on all
o-rings and gaskets that will be exposed to water. But I'd like to know, is
there ever a kind of water seal that I should not use it on? For example my
underwater pool light gasket does not specify any grease. But what if I put
some on, will it help make it last longer before it starts to leak?

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Syn...synthetic.html

If you need more work to do, please come to my house, and we'll find
some easily.

I would not disturb a seal that isn't leaking to put on a sealant.

I think the light you mention won't leak as long as it isnt'
disturbed, which you shouldn't have to do until the bulb burns out.
At that time, if you put the old seal back so the non-squeezed parts
are in the same place, it will probably still last for years, but if
you want to put on some sealer then, that might help.

Even though they tell you to replace some seals every time you change
a lot of things, I've replaced sparkplugs without replacing that ring
(which I can't get off anyhow) and head gaskets on lawnmowers, and
quite a few other things still using the old seal without ever having
a leak. Of course I look at it to make sure it hasn't been damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm - the previous seal was leaking.

The Amerilite pool light was half-filled with water, causing the light to
burn out.

The old o-ring was nice and tight, it was just old and weathered.

So I want to make it more reliable if any way possible, not looking for
extra work to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 20:31:05 -0700, "iwdplz" wrote:

mm - the previous seal was leaking.

The Amerilite pool light was half-filled with water, causing the light to
burn out.

The old o-ring was nice and tight, it was just old and weathered.

So I want to make it more reliable if any way possible, not looking for
extra work to do.

Put a protective coating of urethane on the O-ring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It was never opened, just old and water leaked in - the bulb was still good
before it got wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 01:41:21 -0700, "iwdplz" wrote:

It was never opened, just old and water leaked in - the bulb was still good
before it got wet.

He's saying it will be opended by the time you replace the bulb, so
you should get a new seal rather than rely on grease. I'm sure that's
better, depending on how hard it is to find the right seal and how
much a third lightbulb woudl cost. For one thing, this seal is under
water pressure, which is alot more than if it were in the air but
subject to rain. A couple millimeters of rainwater sitting on a seal
is nowhere near the pressure of 1 foot, 2 feet of water, or however
deep your lights are.