TP

Default Synthetic Stucco

We are thinking of doing the Synthetic Stucco – EIFS. It seems
to be the hot item for a maintenance free exterior finish. Live
in upstate NY, and have a home with stone and cedar shake. Will
remove cedar add house wrap and foam. (maybe it could add R
value). Then install stucco. Have read horror stories of
moisture and rot behind this product. I’m thinking without the
proper installation any siding could cause rot. Has anyone
worked with this EIFS on a residential building? What’s the
best way to work up to a soffit or window? Or terminate at the
stone edge? The install examples rely a lot on caulking. This
seems weak… I know you need to be trained to install the product.

Thanks
TP

info & definitions:
Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS)
http://www.stuccosettlement.com/
Jim

Is this stuff even still legal? I think it made a lot of lawyer types
rich down here in New Jersey.
(http://www.askthebuilder.com/242_The...is_Real_.shtml)

EIFS traps moisture, and rots the wood underneath (above link in a
nutshell). Unless they've gotten better at it (or got better lawyers. :+(

Jim