Posted to alt.home.repair

Default foam for edge of flapper door

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:51:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I'm looking for some sort of foam or sheet rubber material about 0.09
inches thick to use as replacement for the original foam edge seal for
a car AC duct flapper door. The original is a piece of foam shaped
like an oval, about 3x5 inches and it's sandwiched between two sheets
of metal that leave about 3/8" of foam sticking out. It has to be
soft enough to conform when the door closes but strong enough to hold
up for years of cycles. I've been googling but have not been able to
find anything that seems suitable.

Thanks for the suggestions but to clarify, it's not just a piece of
foam around the edge, it's a oval sheet of foam sandwiched between to
steel plates and the whole thing forms the duct door that rotates
ninety degrees to open and close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm looking for some sort of foam or sheet rubber material about 0.09
inches thick to use as replacement for the original foam edge seal for
a car AC duct flapper door. The original is a piece of foam shaped
like an oval, about 3x5 inches and it's sandwiched between two sheets
of metal that leave about 3/8" of foam sticking out. It has to be
soft enough to conform when the door closes but strong enough to hold
up for years of cycles. I've been googling but have not been able to
find anything that seems suitable.

Thanks for the suggestions but to clarify, it's not just a piece of
foam around the edge, it's a oval sheet of foam sandwiched between to
steel plates and the whole thing forms the duct door that rotates
ninety degrees to open and close.

Dealer or junkyard, and get the actual correct part? Or dealer to get
the part number, and searching online?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm looking for some sort of foam or sheet rubber material about 0.09
inches thick to use as replacement for the original foam edge seal for
a car AC duct flapper door. The original is a piece of foam shaped
like an oval, about 3x5 inches and it's sandwiched between two sheets
of metal that leave about 3/8" of foam sticking out. It has to be
soft enough to conform when the door closes but strong enough to hold
up for years of cycles. I've been googling but have not been able to
find anything that seems suitable.

Thanks for the suggestions but to clarify, it's not just a piece of
foam around the edge, it's a oval sheet of foam sandwiched between to
steel plates and the whole thing forms the duct door that rotates
ninety degrees to open and close.

Dealer or junkyard, and get the actual correct part? Or dealer to get
the part number, and searching online?

It's for a 69 Pontiac. I don't think they still make the part. The
old one is still usable but I was hoping to freshen it up while things
are apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 2:05*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:

It's for a 69 Pontiac.

How about if I Google every ****ing model of 1969 Pontiac for you?

Might this be a part shared among GM models?

I don't think they still make the part.

Does it have any "nomenclature"?

The
old one is still usable but I was hoping to freshen it up while things
are apart.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If this is for a Lemans/GTO, 68-72 off any GM the same size would
likely fit. If full size, the span is even longer- 65-72, IIRC. If it
was a popular model, there are dozens of NOS and repro companies out
there. I'd also ask over in the rec.autos.* groups. Just out of
curiosity, what model?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I know the gen-I F bodies shared some parts with other small GMs, but
never had need to learn exactly what. However, the early Camaros (same
basic car) have a huge hot-rodder following, and lots of vendors of
repro and NOS parts. I'd do a Google for 67-69 Camaro restoration parts....

Heck, you got me curious.... (Googles)

14,600 hits. Let's try Firebird- only 5650.

One of them probably has rebuild kits for the under-dash box and ducts
and such.

--
aem sends....