Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic pluming question please!

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
.. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 2:36*pm, slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
*"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 4:29*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:36*pm, slakka wrote:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
*"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 2:36 pm, slakka wrote:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Residence.jpg

Confused here as well. Around the midwest it's called the main stack?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic plumBing question please!

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here for $
35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 2:36 pm, slakka wrote:

[...]

around here in Maine it is refered to as the "main"..HTH....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"slakka" wrote in message

Question,
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Urinating is the professional name. Peeing or taking a leak is slang.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here for
$ 35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic plumBing RATES please!

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here
for $ 35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Still not too bad. I "heard" that in NY a good plumber gets the hourly
equivalent of a surgeon..The difference is apparently, is that you can GET a
surgeon if you need one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:38*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
"the stack"..will work. *By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here
for $ 35.00 *hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Still not too bad. *I "heard" that in NY a good plumber gets the hourly
equivalent of a surgeon..The difference is apparently, is that you can GET a
surgeon if you need one.

The plumber I used for years was getting $100/hour when he retired
last year. He turned the reins over to his nephew and they're now
charging $135/hr. I'm looking for another plumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:12*pm, slakka wrote:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

Look in the bottom right corner of that diagram - it explains the
difference.