DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Basic pluming question please! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279527-basic-pluming-question-please.html)

slakka June 1st 09 07:36 PM

Basic pluming question please!

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
.. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

DerbyDad03 June 1st 09 09:29 PM

On Jun 1, 2:36*pm, slakka wrote:
Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
*"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".

slakka June 1st 09 11:12 PM

On Jun 1, 4:29*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:36*pm, slakka wrote:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
*"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

Rich June 1st 09 11:41 PM

On Jun 1, 2:36 pm, slakka wrote:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

If you mean the vertical pipe that the various drains wye into, it is
typially referred to as the "soil stack".

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...-Residence.jpg

Confused here as well. Around the midwest it's called the main stack?

Rich

Rudy June 2nd 09 01:44 AM

Basic plumBing question please!

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here for $
35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

benick[_2_] June 2nd 09 02:29 AM

On Jun 1, 2:36 pm, slakka wrote:

[...]

around here in Maine it is refered to as the "main"..HTH....

Ed Pawlowski June 2nd 09 03:22 AM

Basic pluming question please!

"slakka" wrote in message

Question,
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Urinating is the professional name. Peeing or taking a leak is slang.

Red Green June 2nd 09 04:08 AM

Basic pluming question please!

slakka wrote in news:2d3474da-01c0-4abc-9ae9-
:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

I need the professional term
for it please.

Considering what a leek is, I'd say sabatoge!

http://www.webwanderers.org/images/LEEK.JPG

The Daring Dufas[_7_] June 2nd 09 04:35 AM

Red Green wrote:
slakka wrote in news:2d3474da-01c0-4abc-9ae9-
:

Dear NG,
I live in a tenement on the lower east side of nyc on the fourth
floor.
In my bathroom, both the tub and sink drain into the same
"main drain" and get routed down from there.

Question,
what is the professional name for the "main drain"?
. The leek was in the "main drain" and I need the professional term
for it please.

Thanks in advance!

slakka

I need the professional term
for it please.

Considering what a leek is, I'd say sabatoge!

http://www.webwanderers.org/images/LEEK.JPG

You have some big leeks there! Call a gardener or cook to fix them.

TDD

cshenk June 2nd 09 10:12 PM

Basic plumBing question please!

"Rudy" wrote

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here for
$ 35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Rudy June 4th 09 01:38 AM

Basic plumBing RATES please!

"the stack"..will work. By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here
for $ 35.00 hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Still not too bad. I "heard" that in NY a good plumber gets the hourly
equivalent of a surgeon..The difference is apparently, is that you can GET a
surgeon if you need one.

RicodJour June 4th 09 01:44 AM

On Jun 3, 8:38*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
"the stack"..will work. *By the way, I can get a licenced plumBer here
for $ 35.00 *hr.
Whats the rate there ?

47$ here.

Still not too bad. *I "heard" that in NY a good plumber gets the hourly
equivalent of a surgeon..The difference is apparently, is that you can GET a
surgeon if you need one.

The plumber I used for years was getting $100/hour when he retired
last year. He turned the reins over to his nephew and they're now
charging $135/hr. I'm looking for another plumber.

RicodJour June 4th 09 01:45 AM

On Jun 1, 6:12*pm, slakka wrote:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1621s.jpg
Confused, this diagram refers to the toilet as the soil stack-
bathroom sink as the waste stack?

Look in the bottom right corner of that diagram - it explains the
difference.