Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub getting a small shock

Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

Is the GFCI an integral part of the unit or is it on the house with a cord
and plug from the tub? If the GFCI is functioning, you would only get a
shock from a ground leak on the line side of the interrupter. It's also
possible that the gfci is not wired correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

I'd say it's *likely*, not just "possible", that the GFCI is not wired
correctly -- or that it's defective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

I'm trying to determine if the unit has integral gfci protection, that's
cord connected to a non gfci outlet. If this is the case, it could be
grounding prior to the protection

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 2:23*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "RBM" wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

I have a GFCI tester that shows it is wired right and yes it is a plug
in the wall type, like I said it just happened overnight. I just
swaped out the GFCI thinking defect and still get the same problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

*I'm not sure why the GFI doesn't trip, but one thing I have noticed on
older cord powered spas is that the cord degrades. I would check the cord
from one end to the other and where it enters the control box. The
insulation may have become frayed or dried out and now copper wire is coming
in contact with something it is not suppose to.

Maybe try powering the heater, pump, and circulator using an extension cord
and see what happens, but leave the main cord unplugged. A continuity
checker or a VOM might be useful in this instance. Don't do any work on
this in your bare feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

You are absolutely sure that the power feeding the gfci is connected to the
"line" side of the receptacle? Do you only get the shock when the tub is
plugged in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the other side is taped off. I get the shock with it just plugged
in and all(pump motor,circ and heater) are un-pluged from the control
box

Posted to alt.home.repair

From reading the original question and discussion don't read that the
OP has sufficient electrical knowledge to safely trouble shoot this
potentially (pun intended!) dangerous situation and needs a fully
knowledgeable and competent electrician.
Not just someone who does a lot of work or thinks they know what they
are doing!
Also, BTW check life insurance policy. 120 volts can kill!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"fzbuilder" wrote in message

wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

I would check the grounding conductor in the outlet. Be sure that it's not
electrically Hot. I would also check to see if any other circuit in that
area, could be grounding into the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He still hasn't told us how the hot tub is being shocked. He
just said "he" is being shocked. How is the hot tub being
shocked?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Don't you think considering water, lethal electricity
levels, existing
short...in the water...where heartbeats are immersed that a
certified
electrician is justified?

Kill the breaker(s) at the panel box and call an
electrician. Live a
little longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2009 21:36:08 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Stormin Mormon" ,
to say:

He still hasn't told us how the hot tub is being shocked. He
just said "he" is being shocked. How is the hot tub being
shocked?

It's from all the nudity. Shocked and appalled, it is.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 2:51*pm, Red Green wrote:
fzbuilder wrote in news:06e75f1a-4818-4e8e-
:

[...]

I agree. That's one thing I wouldn't be posting online about as my
first option..

Posted to alt.home.repair

fzbuilder wrote:

Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

This may sound far out, but have you considered the possibility that
there is current leaking through the cement slab from some source and
that's why you feel that tingle when you touch the grounded spa?

There have been quite a few dogs electrocuted here in Red Sox Nation in
recent years by leakage from defective buried cables making the pavement
quite electrically hot in certain spots and much less hot a foot away.
There were so many incidences of that a couple of years ago that the pet
supply places were selling lots of insulated doggie boots, and the
utility companies responsible for the buried cables were looking very bad.

Just a thought....maybe you should try using an ac milliampmeter to see
how much current will frow from your finger to a known good ground while
you are standing on that same spot on the cement?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
fzbuilder wrote:

[...]

Somewhere I've read that dairy cattle can be stressed by the tingle they
get from stray currents in a concrete floor. The solution is to bond
all the rebar before you pour the concrete.

How about an aluminum pie pan weighted with sand? Wouldn't that be a
good pickup to spot check a concrete slab for voltage and current? I'd
wear dry rubber soles and not touch other things while touching the pan,
just in case more than a tingle is possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*That is something worth considering Jeff. It would also explain why the
GFI doesn't trip. He could have someone turn off each circuit breaker one at
a time and see if the current flow goes away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 7:00*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

a time and see if the current flow goes away.- Hide quoted text -

Along those same lines, there have been many cases of what is commonly
referred to as "stray current", where people get small shocks when
stepping into a pool, grabbing something grounded while standing
outside, etc. It comes from small amounts of current flowing
through the earth from electric utility equipment. There were
several stories about it happening here in NJ, with the local utility
company actually measuring it, yet unable to precisely identify what
was causing it and how to rectify it. If that or similar was
happening, it would explain why the GFCI was not tripping. If the
concrete was at a slightly different potential than the circuit
ground, it would not trip the GFCI.

I'd investigate the service ground for the house and if it's OK, call
the electric company out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

It takes two (electrical contacts) to get shocked. Let's say the cement is
one, what is the other one?

It is very unlikely to get tingling in the fingers unless they are touching
something (metalic or liquid) while you're standing on cement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:05*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
fzbuilder wrote:
[...]

I think you've hit on the possible cause.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 7:12*am, "james" wrote:
"fzbuilder" wrote in message

Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

It takes two (electrical contacts) to get shocked. Let's say the cement is
one, what is the other one?

It is very unlikely to get tingling in the fingers unless they are touching
something (metalic or liquid) while you're standing on cement.

You are right, I can touch the spa water and wet cement and get the
small shock, but not when the cement is dry. Are you saying this is
normal and mabye I just noticed it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
[...]

when you say you "still get the same problem", do you mean that you're
*still* standing on the wet cement barefooted to see if you still get a
shock?

If so...

CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:25*pm, fzbuilder wrote:
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

My theory and 2 cents....

It could be than the slab ground is at a different potential than the
tub ground, this difference causes current to flow between the two
grounds (via your body), another name for this is a "ground loop".
These grounds could be at a different potential because of corrosion
on one of the ground connections (tub or slab) and that is acting as a
resistor on one of the grounds. Ideally any outdoor tub should be re-
grounded with a rod to put the slab at exactly the same potential as
the conduit/box, which I assume is grounded only to the house ground.
Have an electrician check it out, re-do all the ground connections,
and install a local grounding rod not to re-bond the neutral but to
simply make the slab and tub chassis equal potential by re-bonding the
tub chassis/box to the slab. But have someone check it out who doesnt
have to use a human body as a voltmeter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It takes two (electrical contacts) to get shocked. Let's say the cement
is
one, what is the other one?

It is very unlikely to get tingling in the fingers unless they are
touching
something (metalic or liquid) while you're standing on cement.

You are right, I can touch the spa water and wet cement and get the
small shock, but not when the cement is dry. Are you saying this is
normal and mabye I just noticed it?

Of course that's not normal -- it is downright dangerous. Do not perform any
more "tingling" tests with your body. It could turn into a life-threatening
shock without notice.

I'm guessing that the cement, when wet, is equal or close to a ground
potential. That would mean that the spa water is at fault, carrying voltage
when it shouldn't.

You can find out for sure by using a multimeter to measure the voltage or
current between

(1) the ground pin from a grounded outlet, to the wet cement (or a metal
object placed on the wet cement)
(2) the ground pin from a grounded outlet, to the spa water (or a metal
object placed in the spa water)

If you find voltage/current in any of the above, then something is wrong. It
is more likely you'd find voltage in (1). If indeed you do, then the next
step is to debug the spa equipment.

Before you do, make sure the outlet supplying the spa is wired correctly and
there is no voltage on the ground pin. One way to test is to measure the
voltage between this ground pin and another outlet's ground pin. If there's
a voltage - faulty ground.

If there is no voltage, then the more likely culprit is the spa equipment.
That is harder to test without seeing a schematic or the real thing.

Shock Tony Hwang Home Repair 0 April 25th 08 03:18 PM
Shock [email protected] UK diy 0 April 25th 08 07:10 AM
Shock wholesale2 UK diy 0 April 24th 08 06:08 PM
Small voltage running through casing of microwave and kettle that gives a shock Cordless Crazy UK diy 8 May 26th 06 11:37 PM
Why does this shock me? Sunbeam UK diy 18 November 9th 04 11:54 PM