Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hot tub getting a small shock

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
On May 25, 2:23 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted, I
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a few
and covered it up.

Is the GFCI an integral part of the unit or is it on the house with a
cord
and plug from the tub? If the GFCI is functioning, you would only get a
shock from a ground leak on the line side of the interrupter. It's also
possible that the gfci is not wired correctly.

I'd say it's *likely*, not just "possible", that the GFCI is not wired
correctly -- or that it's defective.

I have a GFCI tester that shows it is wired right and yes it is a plug
in the wall type, like I said it just happened overnight. I just
swaped out the GFCI thinking defect and still get the same problem.

when you say you "still get the same problem", do you mean that you're
*still* standing on the wet cement barefooted to see if you still get a
shock?

If so...

CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!

jc