Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Hot tub getting a small shock

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
On May 25, 3:07 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"fzbuilder" wrote in message

On May 25, 2:23 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a older 120v spa that overnight developed a short.
The spa is on a cement slab and if I stand on the cement barefooted,
get a shock like tingling in the fingers. When I turn on the pump, it
gets a bit worse. I have a GFCI and tested it with a ground tester
and
all good. I went one by one and unplugged the heater, the circ pump
and then finally the main pump. Still getting a small shock. Any help
would be appreciated.

The only thing I have done since yesterday is to add muriatic acid to
get my TA down. I added about a cup last night, ran the jets for a
few
and covered it up.

Is the GFCI an integral part of the unit or is it on the house with a
cord
and plug from the tub? If the GFCI is functioning, you would only get a
shock from a ground leak on the line side of the interrupter. It's also
possible that the gfci is not wired correctly.

I'd say it's *likely*, not just "possible", that the GFCI is not wired
correctly -- or that it's defective.

I have a GFCI tester that shows it is wired right and yes it is a plug
in the wall type, like I said it just happened overnight. I just
swaped out the GFCI thinking defect and still get the same problem.

You are absolutely sure that the power feeding the gfci is connected to
the
"line" side of the receptacle? Do you only get the shock when the tub is
plugged in?

Yes, the other side is taped off. I get the shock with it just plugged
in and all(pump motor,circ and heater) are un-pluged from the control
box.

I would check the grounding conductor in the outlet. Be sure that it's not
electrically Hot. I would also check to see if any other circuit in that
area, could be grounding into the concrete.