Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C lines freeze up b/c no air is circulating

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the correct group to use for my problem. I couldn't
find a more suitable one from the list of available groups.

My problem is that my A/C is basically broken right now. I have an
American Standard Freedom 90 furnace and an Allegiance 13 (I think) AC
unit outside. I turn the A/C on at the thermostat and the condenser
kicks on outside (I can see the fan rotating) but the house does not
cool down. In fact, I end up with a puddle on my basement floor around
the furnace because the coolant lines quickly freeze up and I get
massive condensation built up (and eventually melting ice). I'm guessing
the blower is not running but have no clue how to fix it or what caused
it to stop running in the first place. The light on the front is
blinking 6 times which indicates a "115 VAC reverse polarity or
grounding problem" but I don't think either of those are really the
problem unless the gurgling water problem that I mention below somehow
caused a grounding issue.

The A/C was working on Thursday night. Friday when I get home from work
the house was warm. I inspected the condensation line (not sure what it
is really called) and it was frozen. I let everything thaw out but it
still wouldn't work. Today I noticed the hose, which leads on one end to
what looks like fan in a black casing in the upper portion of the
furnace unit, was not connected. I connected it and I also flipped the
breaker. Still have the light flashing 6 times. Setting the thermostat
to "fan" doesn't do anything either.

One last thing to note is that earlier in the week I had the local
American Standard guy come to the house because I heard gurgling when I
tried to run the A/C. Turns out the hose I mentioned above that was
frozen solid on Friday had a bunch of water in it earlier in the week.
The hose had either been clogged or the sump pump that the hose leads to
was not working. I haven't yet confirmed what the source of that problem
was but now I have the problem where the A/C won't run at all.

The furnace and A/C units are only about 15 months old. I haven't
touched any wiring (afraid to do so) and don't know anything about these
things (I'm a new homeowner) so I'm at a loss to fix it myself but I
want to learn. I also really don't want to have to call the HVAC guy
again because I don't think he is very good and he may not be able to
come by for a couple days anyway with the holiday coming up so I'd like
to fix it myself, assuming a part doesn't need replaced.

Any ideas? Remember, I don't know what things are so be descriptive when
you mention part names.

thanks
Brandon
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

You better call someone. There is likely too much to troubleshoot on your
own. It could be the fan motor, it could be a wire fell off or was knocked
loose, maybe the low voltage fan wire from the subbase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 12:19*am, Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

There is althvac, that is where you get abused. www.heatinghelp.com
is where you get good help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are on the right track. The fan not running will cause the freeze up.
The questions is why is it not running and that is more difficult to
diagnose from here. Things you can check though, are loose wires and,
broken belt if a belt drive Turn the power off. Open the furnace and give
the blower a spin. The blower and motor should spin fairly freely. Look at
any wiring connections and be sure they are tight and connecting. Without
proper equipment, such as a multi-meter, you can't do much more. My guess
is it is more involved, but sometimes simple things like a wire knocked
loose by the service guy can happen.

Could be a bad motor, bad relay, bad ground, bad circuit board, bad
capacitor (if motor is so equipped)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the coolant is low
is another issue.

You could have asked this on alt.hvac and would have gotten a similar
response.

Specifically, "You dim-witted piece of s**, it's LOW f*****' COOLANT!
G**D*** fool! You mother was a f*****' hamster and your father smelled of
f*****' elderberries!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 8:45*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Since it's less than a year old, and should be under warranty, why not
just call the company that installed it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Can you get the Fan-Blower to run, in either heat or AC mode, turn fan
to ON it should run continously. If only pjm was here to help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 24, 8:45 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

15 months, less than a year? Hummm, I must go back to school.
Sister Godzilla will be very cross with me and probably hit
me with a ruler.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP did say that the furnace fan wasn't running. So, the
first item on the agenda is to get the furnace fan running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the
coolant is low
is another issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or take you out of shop class with Sister Mary Black and
Decker. Then send you to see the principal, Sister Mary
Herman Goerring.

Getting the furnace fan running is going to the the first
step.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

15 months, less than a year? Hummm, I must go back to
school.
Sister Godzilla will be very cross with me and probably hit
me with a ruler.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

As others said, try the heat and see if the blower comes on, if it
does, probably a wiring issue in the T-stat or furnace for the A/c
control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brandon McCombs wrote:

[...]

Has there been much rain lately? One winter morning I awoke to a
gurgling sound from the furnace. I immediately shut off the electricity
to the furnace. Heavy rain had flooded my furnace pit high enough to
reach the blower. If it had continued to run, it could have ruined the
motor, gotten the computer board wet, and made the house very humid.

The previous homeowner had had two computer boards and a blower motor
ruined by water.

The flashing grounding-problem indicator also suggests that moisture may
be your problem. It's possible that nothing has been damaged.

I don't know if the moisture could have come from a backed-up
condensation drain. Outside, at the exit of my drain, I have a pit big
enough to put a small container under the end of the pipe. If when it's
fairly humid inside I can catch a cup of water in five minutes or so,
that's a sign that things are working well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

Never visited alt.hvac but it sounds like their mellowing a little... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The OP did say that the furnace fan wasn't running. So, the
first item on the agenda is to get the furnace fan running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the
coolant is low
is another issue.

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit in the furnace
plenum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the fins are cleaned, does the fan start up again? He did
say there was a blinking trouble code. Maybe cleaning the
fins will help?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit
in the furnace
plenum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unlikely that is the cause in this case. OP stated it freezes up quickly
which indicates no air movement at all. I would bet on a bad thermostat or
circuit board in the furnace not allowing the blower motor to come on.
But you are correct when you say a dirty evap coil could cause a freeze up.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If the fins are cleaned, does the fan start up again? He did
say there was a blinking trouble code. Maybe cleaning the
fins will help?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit
in the furnace
plenum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Worn Out Retread wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

The OP did say that the furnace fan wasn't running. So, the
first item on the agenda is to get the furnace fan running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the
coolant is low
is another issue.

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit in the
furnace plenum.

More to the point here, it can be caused by the furnace fan not running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Worn Out Retread wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The OP did say that the furnace fan wasn't running. So, the
first item on the agenda is to get the furnace fan running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the
coolant is low
is another issue.

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit in the
furnace plenum.

I pulled a plastic garbage bag out of an evaporator
one time. Another time I crawled under a house, cut
an access door into the ductboard and pealed a 1/2"
layer of pet hair off of the evaporator and it came
off in one piece like a piece of felt. The coil was
clean after that and worked well. Dirt is the enemy.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Worn Out Retread wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

The OP did say that the furnace fan wasn't running. So, the
first item on the agenda is to get the furnace fan running.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Freezing is often cause by very low coolant (Freon). Why the
coolant is low
is another issue.

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit in the
furnace plenum.

More to the point here, it can be caused by the furnace fan not running.

The newer units often have these newfangled electronic blower
motors that start out very slow and ramp up in speed then stay
running at a very slow speed for a while and make you think
something is wrong with it. It could also be the winding in the
blower motor since the speed is often different between the heat
and cool modes. It could be as simple as choosing another motor
lead wire and running it until he gets another motor if the AC
doesn't work well at that speed.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess the dripping sarcasm didn't come through with plain
text. The original poster reports the furnace fan is off,
and trouble code six blinks, indicating reversed polarity or
open ground. Cleaning the coils at this point would be
absurd.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Big Bob" wrote in message
Unlikely that is the cause in this case. OP stated it
freezes up quickly
which indicates no air movement at all. I would bet on a bad
thermostat or
circuit board in the furnace not allowing the blower motor
to come on.
But you are correct when you say a dirty evap coil could
cause a freeze up.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
If the fins are cleaned, does the fan start up again? He
did
say there was a blinking trouble code. Maybe cleaning the
fins will help?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit
in the furnace
plenum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that would be a reasonable starting point.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CJT" wrote in message

More to the point here, it can be caused by the furnace fan
not running.

--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an
attempt to

Posted to alt.home.repair

Basic training for HVAC: Line up the enemy in your sights,
and wash him down the drain. It's him or you, recruit! Have
no mercy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I pulled a plastic garbage bag out of an evaporator
one time. Another time I crawled under a house, cut
an access door into the ductboard and pealed a 1/2"
layer of pet hair off of the evaporator and it came
off in one piece like a piece of felt. The coil was
clean after that and worked well. Dirt is the enemy.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Bob" wrote in message
Unlikely that is the cause in this case. OP stated it freezes up quickly
which indicates no air movement at all. I would bet on a bad thermostat or
circuit board in the furnace not allowing the blower motor to come on.
But you are correct when you say a dirty evap coil could cause a freeze
up.

In my case, the fins clogged up so badly that no air circulation was
possible and it did in fact trigger something that shut down the whole unit.
It took the AC tech several hours to get the ice out of the unit and dried
out so that the fins could be cleaned. The drain had also frozen closed so
water could have gone anywhere until the unit completely froze solid.

This was before the "computer age" in furnaces so if it had happened with a
computer controlled furnace, who knows what kind of error codes would have
been generated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Worn Out Retread" wrote
This was before the "computer age" in furnaces so if it had happened with
a computer controlled furnace, who knows what kind of error codes would
have been generated.

Your neighbor dialed "911", because the flames from your house were starting
to melt the vinyl siding off of his house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Bob wrote:
Unlikely that is the cause in this case. OP stated it freezes up quickly
which indicates no air movement at all. I would bet on a bad thermostat
or circuit board in the furnace not allowing the blower motor to come on.
But you are correct when you say a dirty evap coil could cause a freeze up.

You are the lucky winner. It was a bad circuit board. The HVAC guy took
the old one off the mount and we could see a burnt spot on the bottom of
it so we're guessing a drop of water got on it and fried it. 2 of the
traces were melted together basically. That was yesterday. Installed the
new board today and it works fine.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
If the fins are cleaned, does the fan start up again? He did
say there was a blinking trouble code. Maybe cleaning the
fins will help?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message

It can also be caused by dirty clogged fins in the AC unit
in the furnace
plenum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 22:16:55 -0400, Brandon McCombs
wrote:

Big Bob wrote:
Unlikely that is the cause in this case. OP stated it freezes up quickly
which indicates no air movement at all. I would bet on a bad thermostat
or circuit board in the furnace not allowing the blower motor to come on.
But you are correct when you say a dirty evap coil could cause a freeze up.

You are the lucky winner. It was a bad circuit board. The HVAC guy took
the old one off the mount and we could see a burnt spot on the bottom of
it so we're guessing a drop of water got on it and fried it. 2 of the
traces were melted together basically. That was yesterday. Installed the
new board today and it works fine.

Umm, thats all well and good but what have you done to keep it from
happening again? It wasnt coincidence that the water got there. It
WILL get there again.
Bubba

I once had to replace a lot of components on a furnace/AC control board
whose traces had corroded from frequent wetting. I saw no evidence of
arcing.

What would happen if a motor capacitor had lost most of its capacitance?
Could that cause arcing between traces when the relay opened? Could
the burnt track from arcing eventually conduct well enough to fuse the
traces? Especially if it got wet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for letting us know.

--