Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default A/C lines freeze up b/c no air is circulating

On May 24, 12:19*am, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Hello,

I'm hoping this is the correct group to use for my problem. I couldn't
find a more suitable one from the list of available groups.

My problem is that my A/C is basically broken right now. I have an
American Standard Freedom 90 furnace and an Allegiance 13 (I think) AC
unit outside. I turn the A/C on at the thermostat and the condenser
kicks on outside (I can see the fan rotating) but the house does not
cool down. In fact, I end up with a puddle on my basement floor around
the furnace because the coolant lines quickly freeze up and I get
massive condensation built up (and eventually melting ice). I'm guessing
the blower is not running but have no clue how to fix it or what caused
it to stop running in the first place. The light on the front is
blinking 6 times which indicates a "115 VAC reverse polarity or
grounding problem" but I don't think either of those are really the
problem unless the gurgling water problem that I mention below somehow
caused a grounding issue.

The A/C was working on Thursday night. Friday when I get home from work
the house was warm. I inspected the condensation line (not sure what it
is really called) and it was frozen. I let everything thaw out but it
still wouldn't work. Today I noticed the hose, which leads on one end to
what looks like fan in a black casing in the upper portion of the
furnace unit, was not connected. I connected it and I also flipped the
breaker. Still have the light flashing 6 times. Setting the thermostat
to "fan" doesn't do anything either.

One last thing to note is that earlier in the week I had the local
American Standard guy come to the house because I heard gurgling when I
tried to run the A/C. Turns out the hose I mentioned above that was
frozen solid on Friday had a bunch of water in it earlier in the week.
The hose had either been clogged or the sump pump that the hose leads to
was not working. I haven't yet confirmed what the source of that problem
was but now I have the problem where the A/C won't run at all.

The furnace and A/C units are only about 15 months old. I haven't
touched any wiring (afraid to do so) and don't know anything about these
things (I'm a new homeowner) so I'm at a loss to fix it myself but I
want to learn. I also really don't want to have to call the HVAC guy
again because I don't think he is very good and he may not be able to
come by for a couple days anyway with the holiday coming up so I'd like
to fix it myself, assuming a part doesn't need replaced.

Any ideas? Remember, I don't know what things are so be descriptive when
you mention part names.

thanks
Brandon

There is althvac, that is where you get abused. www.heatinghelp.com